Still hoping for help re: SCSI drives disappearance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, Dec 19, 2001.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Breif summation of the problem: my SCSI drives arent showing up in Windows (2000). The SCSI card is detected upon boot and in Windows; the drives are seen by the SCSI card upon boot (where it gets the ID#, etc) but when it enters Windows, no SCSI drives.

Are there any settings in software that may help me here?

Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I saw your original thread but had nothing to add, have you tried to boot up without the IDE drives in the system? Perhaps you should try to talk to tech support of the SCSI card or your SCSI drive mfr? You are saying that if you run your SCSI card's ID program, it'll actually see the drives there in Win2k, but you have no drive icon in "My Computer" and can't access it?

Jay

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Hey John,

Ive seen this problem many times here recently. You'll experience major problems if you have a system setup where you have IDE and SCSI Hard Drives, and your OS boots from the SCSI drive. Unfortunately, its a major pain in the ass to fix. I added a SCSI drive to my system at work (along with my 2 IDE drives) and I am experiencing this problem as well. Our MIS guys say that there is no easy fix and that you should avoid this setup at all costs. It would be best to boot from the IDE drive and not use your SCSI drives for the OS.

The problem lies in the BIOS in that the IDE drive gets a higher priority than the SCSI. The BIOS says "I see an IDE drive first, so lets try to boot from that." It might be possible to set the interrupt level in the BIOS, but Im not sure.

4. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Is this isolated to WIN2k, or is it applicable to all Windows?

5. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

As asked by DonRoeber and didn't get answered:

If you go to Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Managment, do they show up? How about if you do Action, Refresh Disks?

Or if you go to Device Management (also in Computer Management), are there any errors being reported by the SCSI card?

Also, my own questions: Look in Event Viewer and see if there are any problems with the driver being loaded.

Is the Adaptec 2940 driver runing ? Look in the Devices control panel.

Did you ever use Partition Magic on the drives ? PM , for me, miss-reported that my SCSI drive partition table was damaged and offered to fix it. I let it and then my SCSI drives were not there, until I used Disk Manager to assign a drive letter.

>> I would boot into Win98 but those particular drives are NTFS

6. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Going to respond to everyone here:
    Jay H: The system won't boot into Windows since the SCSI drives are used simply for storage and don't have the OS on them. And when I start, I press CTRL+A to enter the card's BIOS and it does detect the drives.
    Steven: I'm booting from the 18gb IDE drive which I have setup for a dualboot (98/2K). I learned that about the SCSI boot the hard way [​IMG]
    Samuel: Funny you should mention that - now I have problems with 98; when I switched the card's PCI slots, Win98 now detects a new card but won't take the drivers I give it.
    DavePompea: There aren't any errors reported in Device Manager and refreshing the disks didn't have any effect. I couldn't find any events concerning the driver for the SCSI card - the driver appears to be a Microsoft driver, not the Adaptec one, but that hasn't presented problems before. No Partition Magic used here either.
    This is becoming more of a problem that I thought it'd be. I hate to do extreme things such as wipe and restart but that would eliminate some of these possible causes..

7. DavePompea

DavePompea Auditioning

Ok on your answers, but if you go to Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Managment, do they show up?

Also, go to: Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Information -> Software Enviorment -> Drivers, and see if you have the aic78xx (which I think is the adaptec scsi driver for your card) running.

Heck, see if any AIC... or AHA... drivers are running. If not, well I don't know how/where to start it, unlike NT4 where in Devices you could set it to start.

>> I would boot into Win98 but those particular drives are NTFS

8. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I missed your first thread so apologies if I'm covering old ground.

My father has a SCSI & IDE setup in Windows 2000 without too many problems. His SCSI controller is built-in to the motherboard so that may be making things easier. He boots to one of his SCSI drives, and uses two 40Gb IDE drives for backup and storage.

If the windows 2000 Disk Manager can see the SCSI drives, then I assume that the contoller card has it's drivers working and Windows is seeing it OK (It should show in device manager - which you say has no errors reported) The drives themselves should also be shown in device manager.

Do the drives had drive letters assigned in Windows disk manager? Although a drive may be visible to the system, if it does not have a drive letter assigned then it will not show in My Computer.

How did you format +/- partition the drives. If you have tow active partitions/drives then problems will occur. I think you can only have one primary partition, and the other drives must be logical drives (even if on different physical drives)? May be wrong on this one. I've got my two IDE drives broken up into smaller partitions.

Can't help with Win98 as I abandoned this OS long ago.