Still have a question about dimming lights

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Webb, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Patrick Webb

Patrick Webb Auditioning

Finishing our basement and need some help with lighting controls. I have searched the forum about dimming options and still have some questions.

Here is my layout...

5 total can lights

2 wall sconces

Pronto remote

2 of the can lights over TV/equipment rack area wired to one switch. The other 3 cans wired together on another switch. The 2 wall sconces are wired together to one switch. All 3 switches located together on back wall. I would like control the cans and sconces all with the Pronto remote, but at different dimming levels.

Is this possible without spending a fortune?

Thanks!!!

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

Since you got the pronto, I would sugest the PCS line of switches. There are some who dont like the x-10 based switches, I have got around 16 of them in my house and they have worked 99.9% of the time. If you can program your pronto you can program a PCS switch. The cost of 3 switches(each can be dimmed to any level you want) is around $180, the controlers run around 90 bucks(you only need them once. Here is a link to read up on them-
    PCS page
    If that seems to costly there are switches that are less money I just dont remember where the link is for that.
    If you have all of your switches in the same box(a three gang) you could look into a Graphic Eye system from Leviton. It would cost the about the same as the PCS choice.
    I am sure there are other alternatives, these are just off the top of my head.

3. Patrick Webb

Patrick Webb Auditioning

Thanks for your reply, Chris. I will read up on the PCS lights...

4. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens