What's new

still got vacuums on my mind (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Tis the season for vacuuming, I guess.

So, I'm still hip to the Dyson, especially the new DC17 one, which is supposed to be like a jet engine or something. But then I'm in Bed Bath & Beyond and I see this Infinity thing, which is a "cyclone" vacuum that "never loses suction" neither, and it's half the price of the Dyson!

Any info out there from you guys about this Infinity thing? Online reviews are scarce and the website is pretty sparse. Is it possible that this could give Dyson a run for its money at half the cost?

What gives?

MC

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Miicah:

I purchased this Dyson wanna-be...a Hoover Fusion from Wal-Mart...where it is an "exclusive". It was about $120 in September of '05...and I just saw it selling for about $90 the other day.

My experience is more in line of the first review on the Amazon page. LOVED it at first...then little things started going wrong and things started to break.

I wish I had something more useful to tell you except that I haven't yet heard any regrets from Dyson owners.

I still covet the Dysons when I walk past them in the stores. While the Fusion is still in operation at our house...that is only because I am determined to get every last ounce out of it. After a number of problems in getting it repaired, they've extended the warranty...so I may be dealing with the POS for awhile. :thumbsdown: :D The repair shop technicians are certainly not kind in their comments about the vacuum. But, as is so often the case, YMMV. I'm sure some people love theirs.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I gave up on my Fusion....Found a decent HEPA filtered bagless Dirt Devil that is MUCH easier to clean out and seems to be doing just as good of a job as the Fusion at picking things up.

The Fusion handle mechanism broke, and I got tired of having to cleean out the canister..it always got clogged up with the "cotten candy" mess..a real pain...plus having a short power cord sucked.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
While not a real vacuum, I just picked up the Bissell Spotvac for cleaning those hard to clean set in stains. This thing is great. Just set it down on the stain, start up one of the cycles, 3 min or 6 min, and it scrubs away. So far it has lifted every set in stain I could find.

Pricey at a $130 but when you don't even need to bend over and do any scrubbing, I think it is worth it.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike is correct. You won't hear any regrets from Dyson owners. The main point of contention is the cost. Once you get past that hurdle it's all downhill from there.

We have a housekeeper that is recommending them to every customer they have. They don't use their own equipment so they have a lot of experience with different vacuums. I don't really think we need the housekeeper but the wife wants it as a treat to herself so I can't argue with that.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If you want to suck up and collect chunks of dirt while spewing fine dust all over your house then go ahead and get a cheap vacuum (Hoovers are HORRIBLE). Even some of the expensive vacuums are not that great. I have bad allergy problems and finally ended my suffering with a Miele vacuum. Yes, they are expensive but I was already spending that much by replacing my Hoover upright every 2-3 years. The Miele used to be the only HEPA certified vacuum out there (not sure if this is still true). Note that I'm talking about the entire vacuum system... not just a HEPA filter in a leaky vacuum or a HEPA rated bag in an under performing unit. What's the sense in having a HEPA filter when the dust and dirt can blow right around it (or leak out the canister's sides)?

READ this link for more information about vacuums...

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
That's a great link, but that guy doesn't even mention Dyson. :frowning:

This here is a very detailed discussion along the same lines about a Dyson. I'm convinced!

MC

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Micah, yes it's too bad that there doesn't seem to be a good comparison between the Dyson and _good_ (expensive /= good) canister vacs. Bagged vacuums _can_ maintain their airflow (until the bag is full) but it is not cheap in terms of production and design. Some people prefer uprights and the Dyson sounds like a great choice in that category.

In my next house I'm going with central vac... it's the best of all worlds! Lightweight, excellent collection, venting in the garage, etc.

mylan

Screenwriter
Yeah, my wife said she would have gone with a central vac in our custom house had she not spent $1,500 on a Rainbow. I hate cannister vacs but it cleans like the dickens.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I feel like if I had a "central vacuum" that would be where The Alien would hide.

But then of course I would be able to suction him right out into space, wouldn't I? ("Hair lip!")

MC

Neal_C

Second Unit
I lost my first Dyson in my divorce (in favor of my LCD monitor) and vowed to get another as soon as I could. I now have "The Ball" and have convinced my parents to get the DC14 animal and some friends to pick up the DC07. They are fairly expensive but who pays retail? There is always a way to get 20% off or more. Accept no substitute.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
With the 20% coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond and saving gift cards from b-days (I asked for BBB gift cards) I was able to buy the D07 for $230. Definitely worth it. it works great.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This thread is slightly disturbing to me, considering it is full of guys talking about vaccuum cleaners ! :eek: I suggest you all leave right now, turn on a sports game and have a brew before returning online.

J

Neal_C

Second Unit
I think vacuums qualify for a spot under the "home theater" umbrella because:
1) The dyson has aesthetic appeal
2) You have to keep your home theater room and equipment clean and do you really want someone else haphazardly waving the brush wand around your equipment? I think not.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Since I got my Dyson I've been able clean the crt lenses on my rptv only once a year instead of twice. A definite boon to my HT experience.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
We just got a DC07 Animal. The cannister fills to only about a 1/4 of capacity and the cyclone action stops.

Anyone else experience this problem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks