Still confused (age old receiver ?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Travis, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Travis

Travis Second Unit

I have a new pb2+ and Axioms M60's, QS8's and m2's for the rear (already have the 150 cc) on the way. My current receiver is a Sony 2ES. While I can't fault Sony as it has done everything I need it to do I can't help but think it won't bring out the full potential of the new setup. I have three choices and after much searching I still have a few questions I am hoping someone can clarify.

This system will be used for 80% HT 20% Music

The contenders are the Denon 3803, HK7200 and Pioneer 53Tx

1)My setup is going to be 7.1 so I would like a receiver that will bring out the best in this configuration.(Primarily for HT) I know all receivers can matrix 7.1 but I have heard the HK has discrete 7.1 ability even on non flagged DVD's. Is this correct? Do the other 2 have this ability? (THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST DECIDING FACTORS)

2)I have heard great things about the MCACC of the Pioneer. Is it really that good and do the other receivers have this ability? (Even though tweaking via DVE is fun)

3)When people mention the 50 vs 100MHZ video bandwith, does this only matter if you run component video through the receiver? My CV runs straight from the DVD to RPTV.

Sorry for the noob questions. I unfortunately live in a small town where I don't have access to listening to the different brands.

Right now I am leaning most towards the 53tx based on the MCACC and hearing they have a great power supply. However seeing as HT is a huge factor 7.1 is very important.

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Your Sony can do 6.1 though, correct?

Personally, I think the stereolized rears won't make that drastic a change for your setup. I think your money would be much better utilized if you spent it on a dedicated 5 or 7 channel amp and begin a transition towards seperates. All of those receivers will probably strain if you're planning on running 7 channels at relatively high volume.

With a dedicated amp, you'll be able to secure more headroom and open up your speakers much better than you would w/ a receiver's internal amp section.

3. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Yes my receiver is 6.1 which I am currently running. The one setback of this setup is my couch is about 3 ft from the back wall. Because of this the rear surround is extremely localized and almost distracting at times. That is why I was thinking of moving to 7.1 to diffuse the rear a little better. I am looking to go seperates down the road but would still like to upgrade receivers that will make a better pre pro when the time comes. I like the idea of HK's triple x over for DVD audio. Do the elite's have the same ability? If I just bite the bullet and go with seperates now which Receiver would you recommend and which 7.1 amp would be good to go with? Thanks for the help.

4. Ernest Yee

You could just wire the rears in series(I think this is the right config - someone correct me if I got the wrong name) and have just have 2 rears that are outputting the same rear information.

IMO, it would be a pretty big waste to upgrade your receiver just for the preamp section - that's why I was just suggesting that you just upgrade the amp first.

The Sony ES series have a pretty good preamp section already. If you were to make the entire jump all at once, you should begin doing some research on potential seperate preamps.

5. Travis

Travis Second Unit

Here is where I loop back to my original question. I have heard that logic 7 and DPL IIx is discrete 7.1. Does this mean it is making discrete rear channels even if there is no 7.1 flag or is it just matrixing the rears like 6.1 does when there is no flag for it? It is is matrixing them then I agree that I should stick with my sony for now and wire my rears in series (you are right on that) to expand the rear soundstage. One more stupid question, if I use my sony as a pre pro and buy a 7 channel amp how does that work for decoding. Seeing as the sony is only setup for 6.1 how does it send decoding info to the amp for the 7th channel?

6. Ernest Yee

Hey Travis -

Yes - there is actually no true 7.1 format right now. And to go even beyond that - there's a fairly limited range of 6.1 titles out.

I'm not sure how the Logic 7 matrixes its information but I've heard it's pretty good. The Sony Cinema 7 mode just stereolizes its rears so it might be close to that ( or maybe that + a combination of grabbing information from the side channels as well).

As for your 7 channel amp, you could just use a y-adapter out to split the same signal.

[​IMG] On a side note - you're lucky 24 is on tonight [​IMG]