Still a bit confused about HDCP

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Curtis T, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Curtis T

Curtis T Extra

I've searching all over the forums and doing a lot of reading today concerning HDCP. After all the reading I'm still confused about some of the issues involing hardware and HDCP.

1) With HDCP incorporated into both sources and displays will you just be limited to recording onto a PVR (be it satellite PVR or cable box PVR) ? Would you not be able to record to a HD-DVD recorder etc. ? I mean once the signal leaves the source can any other piece of hardware recognize it or is it just the display ?

2) If HDCP only applies over DVI/HDMI and not component would you be able to copy over component ? Why would Hollywood let you make a copy (even if it is less resolution) ?

3) Isn't HDCP just a fruitless effort because all you would have to do is slip the HD-DVD into your PC , make a copy (using "questionable" software) and then burn to DVD to watch on a standalone player ? Or will copying via PC be restricted as well ?

Thanks for your help and patience while I try to exactly figure this all out

2. John S

John S Producer

Anybody? I have some of the same questions about it.

I'm all analog component video on my system for HD, I see no current reasons to change that, but everybody says for the future it is/will be important.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'd bet dollars to donuts that one or two generations out (or electronics I mean, not people)-- you won't be able to find many/any HD devices passing analog signal. MPAA has called for the closing of the "analog hole" -- making all players digital only, or only having analog pass 480p (non high-def) signal. As mentioned above- all the recent electronics show coverage showed the same thing... scaling dvd, hd dvd, hd tuners, hd satellite: all hdmi or DVI with HDCP... no component.

There was a recent piece on DVDfile about this issue:
    http://dvdfile.com/news/special_repo...ddilemmas.html

4. JasonSTR

JasonSTR Auditioning

Thx for clearing that up vince [​IMG]