What's new

Sticking it to the consumer... (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I was just checking out the Pioneer 47A universal player, and DANM they are really tryign to stick it to the Canadian Consumer.

Now I know about the exchange rate, and usually a good estimate in converting US dollars to Canadian you add 50%

But the Pioneer 47a has an MSRP of 1200 US and 2650 CAN

thats more than double, wow maybe they cant do math, or maybe they dont like canadians.....

At that price they wont get my cash

Jack Kelsey

Agent
Aren't there also so-called PST and GST taxes to take into account?

Straight currency conversion gives $1870 CDN - what are the PST and GST rates?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Yeah there is another 15% tax on everything, but i guess we cant blame that one on Pioneer. but yeah at todays rates it 1870 should be the canadian MSRP (or even eithin 50-100 dollars) but 2650???? thats just silly.

Jack Kelsey

Agent
Certainly agree that it shouldn't be 2650!!

But shouldn't the 'corrected' MSRP include the PST - which you say is 15% - that would make it 2150.

What's GST? When and where is such applicable and how much is it?

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
PST - Provincial Sales Tax.
GST - Goods and Service Tax.
HST - Harmonized Sales Tax. (At least this is in Nova Scotia where I live.)
The combination of PST and GST is 15%
HST alone is 15%
No matter how you look at it, the government takes 15%.
I could really use that 15% to put towards more equipment! :D

John-Miles

Screenwriter
As a general rule MSRP prices (at least so far as i know) in canada do not include any portion of sales tax.

What Dave said is correct, PST is the provincial tax GST is the Federal tax, GST never changes in the country, but some provinces have less tax. in a number of provinces they "replaced" the GST and PST with HST but im not complaining because in Newfoundland sales tax used to be 20% before the HST we had 12% provincial and 7% GST (I know what you are thinking thats only 19% but they put the GST on after the PST so a 100 dollar item would go to 112 with PST then 7% of that for GST.... Taxing the tax how low can you go.....

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I fully agree. Where are the Canadian websites promoting a Denon 3802 for ~$1050 Cdn? I am only bringing this up because of a recent thread of a US company selling the Denon 3802 for $699 US.
I had to buy my Sony SCD-C555ES player from the US. The Canadian Sony Stores would not even come within spitting distance of the price I bought it at.
Let us not even discuss the added 15% tax. It makes me sick.
Oh well, I guess we still have the Paradigm price difference.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks