What's new

Stick with Carver AV-64, or snag NAD C270? Need sound advice. (1 Viewer)

dave host

Auditioning
From the preouts of my Yammie, I've currently got a Carver AV-64 powering my front 3 channels. It's a little 60 watter from the late 80's that nicely outperforms my newer AVR.

However, I just upgraded my main L&R's to something a little more musical, (and larger, and pricier) and am seriously considering trading off the Carver for a newer, higher power, dedicated 2 channel amp, like the NAD listed above.

I want the dedicated, more musical performance from CD's that I'm likely to get from a dedicated 2 channel, but am worried about the sacrifice in performance from the all-important center, when it comes to HT applications. Or with the benefit of the 2ch performance, would I hardly miss it?

Should I sell? Stay put? Any advice greatly appreciated!

mackie

Supporting Actor
Keep the Carver for your surronds and center and get the new amp for your L&R mains.

dave host

Auditioning
I'd love to, but the Carver would need to be sacrificed to finance the other. Can't have em both. At least not now.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best bang for my buck.

mackie

Supporting Actor
If the Carver amp is working properly, I don't suspect that changing amps would make much difference. If I were you, I'd keep the amp you have and save the money for something else.

dave host

Auditioning
Thanks a lot for the feedback Mackie; you're echoing what I've heard quite a few people saying. The Carver works perfectly, and I've been nothing but happy with it since I picked it up. I'm thinking I'll stick with it for a while yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks