What's new

Stewart Granger BRDs? Hey Warner Bros, Isn't it time for an upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Many great Stewart Granger choices already listed. On top of those, I'd like to see Warner Archive upgrade their MOD DVD of Granger's highly entertaining "mountain man" adventure film The Wild North (1952) to Blu.

the-wild-north-movie-poster-1952-1020491988.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not Warner, but I'd also like some of his forties romps:

Madonna Of The Seven Moons (1945)
Caravan (1946)
Blanche Fury (1948)
Saraband For Dead Lovers (1948) - There was a restoration of this Technicolor arch costume drama shown a couple of years ago, & I expected a Blu-ray to follow, but it never happened.

There's a few more, but these were the ones I had recorded off TV (all lost now I've had to change my Tivo), but then there's a lot of great British forties films awaiting the HD treatment.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely want Gun Glory on Blue-ray. It has never had a good DVD release. I don't consider MOD a good release and try to avoid them at all cost.
The Warner Archive DVD looked very good. So it would look really nice as a blu ray.
I just watched the 12 year old DVD again last year. Still a fun movie and still looks great and played perfectly.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Is this where she sings Put the Blame on Mame?
She looks great but really she's too old for the part. I'd love to hear the story behind how she got the part. She kinda pulls it off but, and as always, she is still great to look at but...she's no teenager, sorry!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Not Warner, but I'd also like some of his forties romps:

Madonna Of The Seven Moons (1945)
Caravan (1946)
Blanche Fury (1948)
Saraband For Dead Lovers (1948) - There was a restoration of this Technicolor arch costume drama shown a couple of years ago, & I expected a Blu-ray to follow, but it never happened.

There's a few more, but these were the ones I had recorded off TV (all lost now I've had to change my Tivo), but then there's a lot of great British forties films awaiting the HD treatment.
Agreed, you can really see Granger coming into his own by the late 40s early 50s endevors. Where at least he was given leading roles and not just part of a supporting cast, like in 1943 The Man in Gray, with James Mason.

Attachments

• 71VLYtdV+9L._SL1263_.jpg
    71VLYtdV+9L._SL1263_.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I know I've posted this before, but I have the silent version of Scaramouche, it came with the French DVD of the '52 version (I had to import as Warner never released the DVD in the UK), & damnit, I still haven't watched it yet. I keep meaning to. Anyway, Scaramouche '52 as soon as you like, please Warner :)
Found the silent version on YT....

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I saw that Grapvine is the one that released the 1937 KSM but they're a pop and drop outfit, no restoration or corrections of any kind!! Sad!
I think a few labels released the 1937 version on DVD. Including MGM/UA, which is the one I have. It's been a while (~20 years...that's when MGM's DVD was released) since I've seen it, so I'm not sure what condition the elements are in.

I wonder if it's something Kino would be interested in doing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 15-49-37 King Solomon's Mines (1937).png
    Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 15-49-37 King Solomon's Mines (1937).png
    380 KB · Views: 43

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I went ahead and got the MGM release check it out see how it is it’s gonna be better than grapevine for sure!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks