What's new

Stewart Granger BRDs? Hey Warner Bros, Isn't it time for an upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I had mentioned King Solomon's Mines a while ago and asked why some of it looks decent and some looks horrid and the now retired Dick May who was the keeper of the film vault for years at MGM then Turner enlightened us that tri pack Technicolor was used as was the new mono pack and that's the spots that look bad, wonder if a restoration can be done
it seems like new finds and discoveries are occuring all the time. Many of the Archival Vaults are stuffed with so much, that many studios really don't know what they do or dont have in the vaults...it could be that King Solomon's Mines is a case in point? I'd love to see a restored 1937 version of this movie as well!!

Attachments

• kingsolomonsmines1937.80378.jpg
    kingsolomonsmines1937.80378.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • KingSolomonsMines1950.3254_061120180918-1.jpg
    KingSolomonsMines1950.3254_061120180918-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • MV5BNmUyYjNhZTQtNzNkZC00YThjLTkwYjEtN2Y3ODUwYzQzYzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIzMzQ1ODg4._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNmUyYjNhZTQtNzNkZC00YThjLTkwYjEtN2Y3ODUwYzQzYzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIzMzQ1ODg4._V1_.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 48

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Time can get away from you...I understand!!
I had mentioned King Solomon's Mines a while ago and asked why some of it looks decent and some looks horrid and the now retired Dick May who was the keeper of the film vault for years at MGM then Turner enlightened us that tri pack Technicolor was used as was the new mono pack and that's the spots that look bad, wonder if a restoration can be done
I saw that Grapvine is the one that released the 1937 KSM but they're a pop and drop outfit, no restoration or corrections of any kind!! Sad!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agreed, Green Fire 1954 and Bhowani Junction 1956 are lesser classics but classic Granger none the less!! I you can't fault the cast either!! Granger always was paired with the most Beautiful women in Hollywood!! Really an amazing divercity of roles, lke Flynn...but for me, they will always shine brightest in the rouge, adventurer parts!!

Attachments

• MV5BMGY1ZjI3MzQtZDA3NS00ZTI2LWEzZWYtNmU2NzViYWMyNTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMGY1ZjI3MzQtZDA3NS00ZTI2LWEzZWYtNmU2NzViYWMyNTVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • MV5BNmUyYjNhZTQtNzNkZC00YThjLTkwYjEtN2Y3ODUwYzQzYzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIzMzQ1ODg4._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNmUyYjNhZTQtNzNkZC00YThjLTkwYjEtN2Y3ODUwYzQzYzcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIzMzQ1ODg4._V1_.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 48
  • MV5BNTg0ZGU2MmEtMzBmYy00MGQwLWFhN2EtMjZlZTM5YWYzNTRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDcxNDc@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNTg0ZGU2MmEtMzBmYy00MGQwLWFhN2EtMjZlZTM5YWYzNTRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDcxNDc@._V1_.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Bhowani_Junction.jpg
    Bhowani_Junction.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 50

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Agreed, Green Fire 1954 and Bhowani Junction 1956 are lesser classics but classic Granger none the less!! I you can't fault the cast either!! Granger always was paired with the most Beautiful women in Hollywood!! Really an amazing divercity of roles, lke Flynn...but for me, they will always shine brightest in the rouge, adventurer parts!!
Sadly this is the best 1937 will look unless BFI restores it https://www.ebay.com/itm/115073748447?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1GkjegvAASOauBOrUsEwvsQ12&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=115073748447&targetid=4581046489808869&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418640322&mkgroupid=1239149842233245&rlsatarget=pla-4581046489808869&abcId=9300602&merchantid=51291&msclkid=606234194cd41249f715560cc83f77aa
Some new copies 16.00

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ABC was planning on doing an omnibus mystery wheel similar to what NBC had done in the 1970s with Granger as Sherlock Holmes. The pilot for this series was another version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, but when the pilot didn't sell, ABC telecast it as a Movie of the Week. The movie was made with a TV budget (meaning on the cheap for a period picture), but I'd still like to see it again. I assume Universal owns it rather than Warner Bros. but I'd sure like another look at it. Seems like Bernard Fox was Watson (and William Shatner was Stapleton). Any Granger fans know the skinny?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
ABC was planning on doing an omnibus mystery wheel similar to what NBC had done in the 1970s with Granger as Sherlock Holmes. The pilot for this series was another version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, but when the pilot didn't sell, ABC telecast it as a Movie of the Week. The movie was made with a TV budget (meaning on the cheap for a period picture), but I'd still like to see it again. I assume Universal owns it rather than Warner Bros. but I'd sure like another look at it. Seems like Bernard Fox was Watson (and William Shatner was Stapleton). Any Granger fans know the skinny?
Apparently it is only available in a DVDr version - This seems to have a better review than others. https://dvdlady.com/dvd/the-hound-of-the-baskervilles-1972-starring-stewart-granger-on-dvd/

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
For me, watching Stewart Granger in a western is like watching Dodge City with Erroll Flynn 1939. There's just something off, LOL!!! But, with that said, I did like Flynn in "They Died with Thier Boots On"1941...so go figure.
hmm I can't agree there Flynn did more westerns than he did WWII movies which makes westerns his 2nd most represented genre. 8 westerns. I think he was great in them and he always looks like he enjoyed doing them.
I also think Granger was very good in his Gun Glory, The Last Hunt and North to Alaska. Robert Taylor also made quite a few westerns and he was good in them. All 3 are similar type actors.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Lesser classics yes but so are the majority of his movies except to his fans. Personally I like Green Fire more than Young Bess or All the Brothers were Valiant.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
hmm I can't agree there Flynn did more westerns than he did WWII movies which makes westerns his 2nd most represented genre. 8 westerns. I think he was great in them and he always looks like he enjoyed doing them.
I also think Granger was very good in his Gun Glory, The Last Hunt and North to Alaska. Robert Taylor also made quite a few westerns and he was good in them. All 3 are similar type actors.

I used to find it strange to see Britishers (or Australians) in westerns, but I got over it. If you think about it, the "Wild West" would have appeared to be a great opportunity for people to make a start in what was essentially a "new world", much like America during the age of exploration. There were gold rushes, land rushes, military campaigns, business opportunities, etc that would not have existed in Europe or the eastern USA. I can easily see some adventurous Europeans as embodied by Flynn* or Stewart Granger making their way to the American West.

*Yes, I know Flynn was Australian, but he usually played British characters.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I used to find it strange to see Britishers (or Australians) in westerns, but I got over it. If you think about it, the "Wild West" would have appeared to be a great opportunity for people to make a start in what was essentially a "new world", much like America during the age of exploration. There were gold rushes, land rushes, military campaigns, business opportunities, etc that would not have existed in Europe or the eastern USA. I can easily see some adventurous Europeans as embodied by Flynn* or Stewart Granger making their way to the American West.

*Yes, I know Flynn was Australian, but he usually played British characters.
Yeah there were a few English made westerns like Sean Connery's Shalako. I quickly forget the accents for Granger and Flynn after about 15 minutes into the movie and never think of them as English. Its acting. Adventure movies in general are what both were best at and westerns can be classified as adventure movies.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Scaramouche definitely needs an upgrade as it's a colorful funny entertaining MGM classic from the 50's.
As I remember, the DVD looked really good, so a Blu-ray should look stunning, what with how Warner work their magic on 3-strip Technicolor now. I'd be really surprised (& disappointed) if we don't get Scaramouche & 3 Godfathers this year.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I would definitely be in for all of these as well as Gun Glory, Bhowani Junction with Ava Gardner and Green Fire with Grace Kelly.
I would definitely want Gun Glory on Blue-ray. It has never had a good DVD release. I don't consider MOD a good release and try to avoid them at all cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks