What's new

Stewart Granger BRDs? Hey Warner Bros, Isn't it time for an upgrade? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There are many actors over the years that have been swept under the radar, Steward Granger is one of these. In the 50s an Icon with such hits as Scaramouche 1952, King Solomon's Mines 1950, the Prisonor of Zenda 1952 or mentioned ofted on in other threads, the 1962 Sodom & Gomorrah. I recently bought 3 titles from the WB Archives and had a fun Stewart Granger Saturday micro fest. I may have seen these years ago on TMC, but I was pleasingly surprised by them. The 3 titles aquired were the Swordsman from Siena 1962, Young Bess 1953 ( with Jean Simmons) and All the Brothers were Valient (Ann Blyth) also 1953. All of these need a real restoration and upgrade to at leaset BRD Editions. As mentioned preveously, even the first mentioned titles in the Stewart Granger catallog have not been given a decent upgrade or restoration.

I love some of what WBA is coming out with, The Last Hunt 1956 with Granger and Robert Taylor or the 1948 Three Musketters. With all of the actors not given the due attention. I was happy to see that WAC did release a nice edition of 1954 Beau Brummell, so they see the market...I believe that Stwart Granger is one actor that should be given that opportunity. To be able to be seen by future generations that love the hero, swashbuckler, who you gonna call...

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Some of the ones on my BRD hit list!! Who else would love to add these to their collection?

Attachments

• 61tHeXh2q4L._SL1000_.jpg
    61tHeXh2q4L._SL1000_.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 21
  • apibe1txx__26615.1626453525.jpg
    apibe1txx__26615.1626453525.jpg
    839.8 KB · Views: 21
  • apip48h8v__75043.1626453020.jpg
    apip48h8v__75043.1626453020.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 12
  • king-solomons-mines-poster-for-1950-mgm-film-with-deborah-kerr-and-C10ABT.jpg
    king-solomons-mines-poster-for-1950-mgm-film-with-deborah-kerr-and-C10ABT.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 15
  • young-bess-stewart-granger-deborah-everett.jpg
    young-bess-stewart-granger-deborah-everett.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 12
  • 516wDaYqGOL._SY445_.jpg
    516wDaYqGOL._SY445_.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 21

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would definitely love Scaramouche, King Solomon's Mines, and The Prisoner of Zenda (along with the Ronald Coleman version from 1937, which is even better than the Granger) on Blu-ray.
I appreciate both versions and have the DVD that had them both on WAC 2 fer edition. I'd love to see a BRD box set with these 2 movies plus the 1922 version with Ramon Navarro and the comedy version wth Peter Sellars 1979!!

Attachments

• 51+NFto-mAL.jpg
    51+NFto-mAL.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 410kM1T7noL.jpg
    410kM1T7noL.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 25845169_sa.jpg
    25845169_sa.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 11

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I appreciate both versions and have the DVD that had them both on WAC 2 fer edition. I'd love to see a BRD box set with these 2 movies plus the 1922 version with Ramon Navarro and the comedy version wth Peter Sellars 1979!!

Don’t know who owns the silent versions (there was one in 1913 prior to the Navarro version), but the Peter Sellers version is with Universal, so a potential box set would not include that one.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Don’t know who owns the silent versions (there was one in 1913 prior to the Navarro version), but the Peter Sellers version is with Universal, so a potential box set would not include that one.
Well, both of them would now be in the Public Domain. The 1913 one was made by Famous Players (Jesse Laskey). I would imagine if there are any elements still in existence, they'd be with Paramount. It's never been released on home video, as far as I know.

The 1922 version was made by Metro Pictures. There's a DVD from Warner Archive listed at oldies.com, along with an edition from the PD label Alpha.

There was also a third silent version, a British one from 1915.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wouldn't it be great if WB put BOTH versions of Scaramouche on the wished for blu-ray? I did enjoy the Navarro version quite a bit but the Granger version is at the very top of my most wanted upgrades. Sure hope it will appear some day!
I know I've posted this before, but I have the silent version of Scaramouche, it came with the French DVD of the '52 version (I had to import as Warner never released the DVD in the UK), & damnit, I still haven't watched it yet. I keep meaning to. Anyway, Scaramouche '52 as soon as you like, please Warner :)

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well, both of them would now be in the Public Domain. The 1913 one was made by Famous Players (Jesse Laskey). I would imagine if there are any elements still in existence, they'd be with Paramount. It's never been released on home video, as far as I know.

The 1922 version was made by Metro Pictures. There's a DVD from Warner Archive listed at oldies.com, along with an edition from the PD label Alpha.

There was also a third silent version, a British one from 1915.
it just keeps on getting better!!

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I know I've posted this before, but I have the silent version of Scaramouche, it came with the French DVD of the '52 version (I had to import as Warner never released the DVD in the UK), & damnit, I still haven't watched it yet. I keep meaning to. Anyway, Scaramouche '52 as soon as you like, please Warner :)
Time can get away from you...I understand!!

RobertMG

Premium
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That would be great to have on Blu-ray, but it needs serious work.
I had mentioned King Solomon's Mines a while ago and asked why some of it looks decent and some looks horrid and the now retired Dick May who was the keeper of the film vault for years at MGM then Turner enlightened us that tri pack Technicolor was used as was the new mono pack and that's the spots that look bad, wonder if a restoration can be done

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Wouldn't it be great if WB put BOTH versions of Scaramouche on the wished for blu-ray? I did enjoy the Navarro version quite a bit but the Granger version is at the very top of my most wanted upgrades. Sure hope it will appear some day!
I love when you're able to see two different imaginings of the same title. WAC did a dvd version with the 1937 Ronald Colman version and the 1952 Granger adaptation together for comparison...but to have both restored and remastered would be a mind blower!!!
jon stewart boom GIF

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would definitely be in for all of these as well as Gun Glory, Bhowani Junction with Ava Gardner and Green Fire with Grace Kelly.
For me, watching Stewart Granger in a western is like watching Dodge City with Erroll Flynn 1939. There's just something off, LOL!!! But, with that said, I did like Flynn in "They Died with Thier Boots On"1941...so go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks