Stewart Firehawk - White spots on screen, black touchup paint, Wavy edges

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Al Tarczilo, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Al Tarczilo

Al Tarczilo Auditioning

I am new to screens so am unfamiliar with how they are supposed to look.

I received a Stewart Firehawk Visionary Electriscreen (106")

1) The entire surface of the screen (grey portion) is not a uniform grey but has white spots scattered THROUGHOUT as if the paint sprayed on was not done uniformly. These are just small dots but some are noticeable at 5 ft in normal light with projector not on.

- Is this normal or is the screen defective?

2) The Black surrounding area has some grey showing through and when Stewart was contacted they said that they would send touch up paint!!??

- Has anyone else experienced this?

- As any paint has some "depth" when applied would using touch paint have a long term negative effect on the screen as it rolls up and down or as it is stored in the rolled position?

3) The black edges are wavy near the tension tabs. I don't see any effect on the primary screen section yet (the projector is not yet operational).

- Is this a cause for concern?

- In general, with all these items, is this a defective screen I should get replaced or is this normal?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If the surface of the screen is not perfect, and was not damaged during shipping or by you (which does not sound to be the case) then yes it does sound like it's defective. Have you talked to them about the screen defects? This is the most important part, and if it isn't perfect, I'd return it, and get one that isn't splotchy.

You may want to describe how big these spots are as well.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    If you are not happy, I can catagorically say, Stewart will make it right. Just call them.

Best wishes

Gregg

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Did you purchase from Stewart or a dealer? I would return/exchange the screen.

5. Al Tarczilo

Al Tarczilo Auditioning

From a dealer and I have contacted him. I just wanted to make sure there really was a problem. Thanks everyone for your posts.

6. Al Tarczilo

Al Tarczilo Auditioning

For those of you interested I was contacted by a Stewart technical manager who said "This is not a defective screen. The white spots are normal optical composites of the FireHawk screen."