What's new

Steven Spielberg's Director's Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I'll probably sell off my copies of Jaws, E.T. and the Jurassic Park trilogy."I already have the huge Jaws set and JP trilogy so I don't want to "trade" two box sets for one. I could consider getting this from some sale later on, but certainly not in full price. So I'll wait.

calvinm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin
Ronald Epstein said:
Obviously, they couldn't put everything in the set.
Surely, Universal could have included all the Spielberg films they own though - a la their Hitchcock set?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Surely, Universal could have included all the Spielberg films they own though - a la their Hitchcock set?"I guess they wanted to release some of his films on BD for the first time (which is great news), but didn't trust that they would sell enough without some classics like Jaws or ET.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"Surely, Universal could have included all the Spielberg films they own though - a la their Hitchcock set?"
Perhaps. But I agree with the point above.

Still, not a cool idea to neglect those who want just the newest offerings right out of the gate.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
500.jpg
Unknown.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gustavo,

Thank you so much for providing the link above....

Two pieces of good news...

First, this is a far more attractive boxed set than the U.S. offering

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-Spielberg-Directors-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00LED9EHC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404244093&sr=8-5&keywords=steven+spielberg+collection+blu-ray

Secondly, I just did the conversion, and it can be had for just under $100

The bad news, of course, is that it's region 2. Not certain if I would want this entire
set of 8 films in a different region.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Gustavo,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-Spielberg-Directors-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00LED9EHC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1404244093&sr=8-5&keywords=steven+spielberg+collection+blu-ray

The bad news, of course, is that it's region 2. Not certain if I would want this entire
I bet in November you can get it much cheaper in a Black Friday deal, last year i got quite a few titles during that week.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ronald Epstein said:
Gustavo,

You don't think it will be region-free like the Hitchcock and the Universal Monsters boxes were? I imported both of those sets because they were less than half the price of the US. This one isn't quite as cheap but maybe the price will drop before release day.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The bad news, of course, is that it's region 2."Jaws, ET and JP trilogy are "Region All" everywhere. I highly doubt that the other films are region locked.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jaws, ET and JP trilogy are "Region All" everywhere. I highly doubt that the other films are region locked.
I am only repeating what is posted on the Amazon U.K. site.

Remember, these are the same transfers but not same discs. Universal could
have pressed these new discs with region restrictions.

Again, I am only giving you the information Amazon has posted.

I bet in November you can get it much cheaper in a Black Friday deal, last year i got quite a few titles during that week.
No doubt, Malcolm. Unless this set drops severely in price I will wait for a Black Friday deal as well.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Remember, these are the same transfers but not same discs."Sorry, but based on what? And the bigger studios usually add these region codes mainly to the new films.But I guess we'll find out later on. I'm still 95% sure that these will be region free.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Why would Universal be striking new transfers of exceptional Blu-ray releases already available?What studio is even readily doing that these days?

I bet you the transfers of E.T., JAWS, JURASSIC PARK and LOST WORLD will be the
same exact transfers.

JAWS, alone, is one of the most incredible catalog transfers that exists. You can't top it.

I'm still 95% sure that these will be region free.
Hope you are right. If they are, that U.K. boxed set is a great choice for under $100

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
I bet you the transfers of E.T., JAWS, JURASSIC PARK and LOST WORLD will be the
same exact transfers.
Jurassic Park has had sharpening applied to it, edge enhancement halo's are visible in a number of scenes, indeed the 3D version doesn't have the halo's in the same scenes, that right there is a giveaway but, unfortunately that 3D edition has had all the film grain removed, i wouldn't call the blu ray of that 2D release bad but it's also far from perfect.

I saw Always on television months back, presented in HD, it had obvious edge enhancement halo's too, i think Universal will not have paid for a new film scan for that one and i think it will look mediocre, no doubt the reviews will say it's great.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I bet you the transfers of E.T., JAWS, JURASSIC PARK and LOST WORLD will be thesame exact transfers."I agree. My point was that they're probably the same exact discs also, meaning that they're also region all.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You are more optimistic than I am, Sam, about that.
Oh, I simply meant in a perfect world, those titles ought to come out at the same time as the box. I have no faith that they actually will!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Good to see these are coming out, and that 1941 will apparently include both cuts (maybe Duel will, too).

Munich is, I think, a Dreamworks-owned title, so it would probably be Paramount, and with this set, I believe it will be the one remaining Spielberg-directed (theatrical) feature not yet available on Blu-ray. And I guess Universal (or Spielberg himself) decided Schindler's List should stand on its own.

At any rate, I'll probably hold off for the single releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks