Steve Vai & Frank Zappa In Hi-Res Multi-Channel

Discussion in 'Music' started by Felix Martinez, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Hey Folks -

My interview with guitarists Steve Vai and Dweezil Zappa in the March issue of DVD ETC should be hitting the stands any day now. Some interesting things revealed for hi-res multi-channel audio fans:

Vai has already transferred all his recordings to 96/24 (multi-track masters) and 192/24 (stereo masters) and is ready to start re-mixing.

Dweezil Zappa stated that "Apostrophe" and "Over-night Sensation" are ideal candidates for future hi-res surround discs, as 4 channel (quad) mixes done by Frank already exist.

Other great stuff in the column!

Cheers,

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks foe the heads up Felix. Frank Zappa in hirez. I guess Michael St. Clair will be happy. [​IMG]

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

He wouldn't be the only one. [​IMG]

I can't wait to hear the sermons of Father Vivian Oblivian resplendent in his frock all around my room.

4. gregD

gregD Second Unit

As will I!

I bought into quad in the 70s... had a serviceable discrete vinyl playback system (Garrard Zero100 TT, AudioTechnica cartridge, JVC decoder)... it actually worked!

Then, as now, the notion of the 'immersive mix' was called into question... but at the time, with a music collection that was 98% 'progressive' rock, the creative, aggressive surround mixes worked for me... which is why I'm fairly receptive to them now with hi-res (though I've encountered a questionable mix or two).

Anyway... Overnite Sensation was part of that experience... can't wait for the hi-res (should be DVD-A, yeah?)

5. Michael St. Clair

I've got homebrew DTS CDs of the two released Quad records...to be honest, I'd buy an offical release, but I sure wouldn't mind a remix on the surround. I think they could be better...even more aggressive.

Here is some comparison of the regular and Quad releases (scroll down):

http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/misc/quad.html

She said her stereo was four-way....and I'd just love it in her room

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hell yeah, but I hope they do more live stuff! Zappa's "Halloween" is still the most played DVD-A I own by a huge margin.

I love my Au20 "vinyl mix" of "APOSTROPHE". I'd love to hear the quad, but I'm not sure if any other mix would ever take precedence over this one. I growed up to it! Oh St. Alphonso would be proud of me...

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Zappa titles can't come out soon enough for me. I'm still waiting for the Complete Roxy. In an interview Gail mentioned about six things in the works. Since my absolute favorite period of FZ is 1973-1975, I'm glad so many of the forthcoming titles are from this period. Besides the Complete Roxy and Dub-Room Special DVDs, Apostophe and Overnite Sensation in their original quad mixes on DVDA, she mentioned a Petite Wazoo tour release (and hopefully we'll get a Hi-Rez One Size Fits All and YCDTOSA Vol 2: Helsinki Concert release as well.

Hopefully we can also get complete Fillmore East, Pauley Pavillion, and Rainbow shows from the Flo and Eddie shows, and hi-rez 5.1 releases for We're Only In It For The Money, Lumpy Gravy, and Uncle Meat too.

8. Michael St. Clair

The Au20 masters of (') and OSFA are essential.

Word on a.f.f-z is that the Petit Wazoo live disc has been mastered to 2 CDs and has been sitting in the can for years now. I've got a boot of the same lineup and eagerly await this release.

My favorite periods for the live stuff are the Roxy/YCDTOSA2 band and the 1988 band.

I'm not wild about (most of) the Flo and Eddie stuff. That's the thing about Zappa fans, though, they often have their favorite lineups/eras.

9. Felix Martinez

One thing that Dweezil said is under consideration is the 1981 Halloween concert that was broadcast on MTV. I have a copy of a copy of a copy of this thing, and I would love to see and hear it in a nice format. Dweezil said Frank wasn't a big fan of that show, and Nina Blackwood asked some embarrassingly trite questions to Frank, who seemed pained to answer them, but I communicated to Dweezil that this has been a big request from fans I've met over the years (and have traded this videotape). Hope it works out!

Cheers,

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think I saw bits of that Halloween concert.

Any live performance after post Flo & Eddie would be freakin' awesome.

11. Michael St. Clair

I've been listening to the Petit Wazoo audience recording again tonite, for the first time in a long time.

These shows were really something special. I eagerly await this in any professionally recorded form. Redbook, DVD-A, SACD, whatever. Just get the material out there, ZFT!

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've never heard of the Petit Wazoo. I am full of envy.

I'm still wetting my pants in anticipation of the Roxy DVD.

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Frank recorded just about every show he ever did. I also hope that the show he did with Flo & Eddie and Zubin Mehta in LA, as a run through of 200 Motels, will also get a release in my lifetime.

14. Michael St. Clair

15. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    I would (almost) kill for Vai's Passion and Warfare in SACD/DVD-A

16. Felix Martinez

Me too! In my interview with Steve, he said the multi-tracks for all his stuff were transferred to 24/96, the stereo masters to 24/192. Doing the 5.1 mixes would make "every day like Christmas" to Steve!

Cheers,

17. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

No plans AFAIK, but if they're doing DVDs, I'm betting it will come out eventually.

For me personally, it's something I'd get, but is at the bottom of the list of Zappa DVDs I'd want. I'd prefer concerts.

19. Michael St. Clair

I'm pretty sure MGM, not the ZFT, controls the film.