Steve Vai and Nelly Furtado - the surprise of the Grammys (for me)!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

First of all: I am not a fan of Nelly or "that song" and although I admire Vai as a guitarist (his skill is incredible) I've never really gotten into the stuff he puts on his solo albums.

That said, I was blown away by the rendition of "I'm Like a Bird" that they did on the Grammys. It made watching the Grammys with my SO (she was the one who wanted to watch it) palatable...dare I say almost worth sitting through the whole 3+ hours.

Anyone have an MP3 of the performance? I've been searching and haven't found one yet.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

What was the performance like? Did Vai do some soloing or something noteable?

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

No real soloing. But he blues'd out the basic chords of the song, adding (sacrilege here but I'll say it anyway) Hendrix-like flourishes to the base chords. Kind of like the style Jimi used in "Little Wing."

Truly amazing. If I can find a legal MP3 of it I'll like it here.

4. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

Son of a .....

you mean there was actually something worth watching on the Grammy's this year??? if ya find the song, please post!

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Buddy and Julie Miller lost out to Bob Dylan for Best Contemporary Folk category.
    I now realize they never really stood a chance [​IMG]

6. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Anyone know what language Dylan was using during his performance? That should have been subtitled for the gyejfdifdish-impaired.