What's new

STEVE REEVES' HERCULES (1959)/HERCULES UNCHAINED (1960) (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
47252a_lg.jpeg

No one else seems to have an interest so I may as well start it.

When is an exemplary fully restored and digitally remastered enhanced anamorphic widesceen DVD or Blu-ray edition of HERCULES (1959) and HERCULES UNCHAINED (1960) starring legendary muscleman Steve Reeves ever going to see the light of day?!

As it has been years since the DVD revolution with nothing really positive to speak of devotees can hardly be accused of being impatient on this.

:rolleyes:

Jeff T.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I know a party who has plans to acquire the Embassy Pictures copyrights for at least four Reeves films: HERCULES, HERCULES UNCHAINED, MORGAN THE PIRATE, and the elusive THIEF OF BAGHDAD if film elements can be found. Some work has been done, but this venture is just getting off the ground. Their plan is to release DVD and/or Blu-rays of some Reeves films. I wouldn't look for this to happen overnight, however.There is a German widescreen (2:35-1) DVD of HERCULES UNCHAINED that is pretty good quality, although I find the color to be a bit dark (Bava's color scheme was more lurid than the German disc portrays. I don't recall if it's anamorphic or not, but it does have English audio as well as German.I certainly agree that we need properly letterboxed versions of Reeves' films, and hope to see more of that in the future. I was very happy with Warner's widescreen MODs of THE SLAVE and SANDOKAN THE GREAT. There are gorgeous European prints of GIANT OF MARATHON and THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII out there on PAL (the POMPEII disc is English-friendly, but the MARATHON disc is not.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
This is certainly tremendous news. Thank you for your encouraging response! Please keep us informed of further developments.

Jeff T.

:D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very encouraging news and thanks for sharing. I've been one of those people who have been searching for a decent home video of The Thief of Bagdad for a long, long time.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The foreign (Italian, Spanish) PAL DVDs of THIEF OF BAGHDAD all seem to be derived from an improperly matted transfer done in the mid 1980's by a French Film Club. I'm always amazed that there hasn't been an Italian or French PAL DVD of the original CinemaScope version. I wonder where the negatives are? I wonder where widescreen 35MM print are?

If I hear anything substantial regarding the Reeves films, I'll post an update here. Since it's a private group that is pursuing the films, I don't expect rapid progress.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
These would be high on my "most wanted" list, as well. I have a French HERCULES (2:35-1) whose full DVD title is "Le Travails de...". It looks wonderful, but the bad thing about it is that a mild voiced British actor did Reeves in the English dub and, I must say, it threw me off quite a bit. So hope this deal goes through!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It is a tragedy when (in this case) a film property is allowed to fall into such reprehensible neglect.Thank Heaven for the fans who champion and demand exacting standards pertaining to these older (now) classic movies without whom so much art and culture would be permanently lost forever.Jeff T.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Doesn't Warner own the MGM, library ??
Has TCM ever shown these ?? Also, I remember when AMC was had classics on back in the 90s without cuts them showing several of his films. I would LOVE to see "Duel Of The Titans" and "Pompeii" on DVD. I have emailed TCM several times and requested a STEVE REEVES marathon. I think the rest of you should LOBBY them to show them.........

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
AlanP said:
I would LOVE to see "Duel Of The Titans" and "Pompeii" on DVD..
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there's a whole world of DVDs outside the U.S. I have both DUEL OF THE TITANS (Spain) and LAST DAYS OF POMPEII (Germany) in nice anamorphic wide screen (2.35) transfers.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Any helpful information-suggestions from our friends is always welcomed, certainly.

But when one is thinking "international" there are all kinds of complexities involved. The Region coding, the currency rate-of-exchange, shipping charges and the actual retail price (all of which can be exorbitant).

What we are attempting to achieve here is a quality domestic release. If it can be done aboard then it can also be done here as well.

Jeff T.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
MORGAN THE PIRATE has been shown on TCM, but it was the same fullscreen print that was used for the old Embassy VHS and laserdisc. There have been far superior, letterboxed PAL transfers in Europe.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
JeffT. said:
What we are attempting to achieve here is a quality domestic release. If it can be done aboard then it can also be done here as well.
Perhaps I'm too impatient but why wait and push and complain for a release down the line when I can enjoy it now?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I do not understand why the US is so reluctant to issue so many classic films and they are being released overseas.
What gives ?? And I do not want to buy a foreign copy I think it is a travesty that the US refuses to issue so many classics on DVD MOD, BR, or otherwise !!!!
I also keep writing WARNER ARCHIVES on FACEBOOK about releasing the REEVES catalog since they OWN it.
I do not see anyone writing them on FACEBOOK about releasing his films. There needs to be a PUSH from fans !!!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I think that Warner Brothers "monitors" this discussion forum too. But what is the web address for the Warner Brothers Home Entertainment on Facebook? I never go there!

Speaking for myself I don't have a multi-region player. But I am glad that there is someone who can enjoy these films "now." In the interim I will continue to lobby for quality North American Region 1 DVD and bluray releases from this end for whatever good it does.

Jeff T.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I totally agree with Alan on all points, but long ago became so exasperated with the idiotic and, frankly, insulting way the studios deal with their classic libraries, that I HAD to go with foreign pressings to get the films I wanted. It gets worse with the blu-rays, of course. So, I'm ALL FOR putting pressure on the likes of Warners, but must add that widescreen epic adventures like the Reeves pictures really deserve the BD treatment. Just wish that WB would surprise us with something wonderful like a Reeves or Hercules set!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
That could happen, but only if Warner has the film elements. They did surprise us last year with properly letterboxed MODs of THE SLAVE and SANDOKAN THE GREAT. In fact, the Warner Archives transfer of THE SLAVE is the only correct widescreen transfer of the film on home video. European transfers of it were improperly matted to somewhere between 1:66-1 and 1:85-1.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Any updates on the REEVES collection ?? It has been awhile almost a year ???

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I recall reading someplace there were two different English dubs for the first film. Is this fact,and if so,anyone have info?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks