f5J6lFb.jpg
That is a great poster.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That looks perfectly terrible. I cannot wait to see it!!!
Same here. A hot, summer day matinee in a nice cool air-conditioned movie theater with a tub of popcorn and some strawberry twizzlers. I'm munching on my snacks while MEG is devouring mass numbers of human beings.:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm beginning to suspect they aren't going to have the T-Rex scene. I'd think a snippet would have shown up by now.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. Personally, I would have relased that scene alone as the first trailer. The audience thinks this is the next dinosaur adventure film, then, as the T-rex wades into the water, the meg shows up and rips the rex to shreds.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When the book was published the title was "Meg" with perhaps a suffix. I notice now that the move is "The Meg". I prefer the original title.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When the book was published the title was "Meg" with perhaps a suffix. I notice now that the move is "The Meg". I prefer the original title.
MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror

There are currently six novels in the MEG series. I presume the film only draws from the first novel (and changes the plot line quite a bit).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So this is about Meg Griffin? Man, she can't catch a break. LOL

They forgot the beanie cap! I am sure that meme exists. :)

All joking aside, I hope this is good. I would like to see a return to this sort of popcorn movie.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wow, the first post is 11 years old! It looks like good fun, & I'm a big fan of the "Stath" & my money's on him to give the Meg a good larruping. Once he takes his shirt off, he means business.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw a new trailer for this on TV during the world cup final. This was much better than the first trailer they released. It got rid of much of the comedy.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw the first trailer IMAX-sized in front of Ant-Man and The Wasp. Worked MUCH better on the big screen.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
MEG-Movie-Poster-2.jpg

Previews tomorrow. I don't usually do previews, but I might actually try and get to a 3D preview tomorrow evening.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
No reviews the day before release does not bode well.

I saw two: Hollywood Reporter (IIRC) and another one. The comparisons to Jaws (as a movie, as a blockbuster and as a shark tale) weren't generally kind towards The Meg.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Did anyone think that this thing was going to be good (maybe mildly fun, but good?) Or at the very least popular with critics?
I’m hoping for good. Not going to read any reviews. I know high-falutin’ critics in the Little Rock paper will hate it. It’s gotta be art-house for them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Did anyone think that this thing was going to be good (maybe mildly fun, but good?) Or at the very least popular with critics?
Exactly. It's a big monster creature feature, like Rampage in the water; it's not going to win any Oscars or please most critics who seem to have a Jaws fixation. My only concern is really how far they've gone toward comedy with this film. The book was a relatively serious thriller, not a comedy.

While it likely won't be a domestic blockbuster (most recent shark films seem to top out around $50 million), this film was really aimed at Asian audiences with the setting changed from California to China and the Chinese casting and co-production options. They'll be hoping to make the bulk of the grosses in Asia.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

There's no reason it couldn't be a good bad movie, rather than a bad bad movie. Review embargos bother me. You spent the time and money to produce the movie. Just put it out there and deal with what you've wrought fer cryin' out loud.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
This doesn’t look great, and the reviews are middling, but I can’t pretend that “Jason Statham vs. a giant freaking shark” isn’t the great elavator pitch I’ve ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks