Stereophile's class B rating of paradigm studio 100v2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobRoulier, Sep 21, 2002.

1. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I have had these speakers in my system for about 6 months now and I have been thrilled with their performance in both ht and music! I had auditioned many speakers and found that paradigm offered a fantastic product for the money.
    When I first saw stereophiles class b rating I was like oh a b rating[​IMG] but when I saw some of the 'a' speakers and even some of the 'B' speakers are almost 9k I said to myself not bad[​IMG] heres a brief quote " Its first rate bass approaches that of the $8995 pair of Dunlavys" Wow not bad huh? I know there are a lot of us paradigm owners who love their speakers at the same time there are a lot who say they don't like the sound and there not musical [​IMG]
    oh well every ones ears are different. I participated in a thread recently with members who own or listened to b&w cdm9nts which I had auditioned as well and thought they were very fatiguing and the folks who preferred the 9nts over the 100s seemed to think the 9nts were superior well unfortunately they got a class 'c' rating and a little quote "the 9nt was felt by st to lack a little spark" now I don't know who this st is but he does listen to a lot of speakers day in and day out. I am not putting these speakers down just some professional reviews to back up my same thoughts. any ways If you haven't picked up the October '02'issue you should It got lots of great gear reviewed, maybe yours[​IMG]
    Btw I just picked up a pair of paradigm ams 250 in walls another big bang for the buck product and they sound great too![​IMG]
    Bob

2. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

st = Sam Tellig

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I don't give a ton of credibility to sponsor driven magazine articles, much like I don't let a critic decide whether I'll like a movie.

Our tastes are so different for what's good I think the easiest way to review a speaker is to just compare how it sounds to another.

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

5. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i have listened to the studio 100's, and own studio 20's, also highly rated by stereophile. i have also listened to the b&w nt's, not extensively, but a bit. for my ears, and taste in music, the b&w's sounded very nice, but something was lacking. they seemed a bit dry, or laid back. this would probably serve jazz or classical, or maybe even quieter, well recorded pop, very well, but i don't think it would do as well on rock music. this is also the feeling i get with vienna acoustics.

the paradigms, while maybe not excelling with jazz or classical quite as well, do come very close, and also provide the kick, or impact, that i like with rock music. in short, maybe a speaker that will not be the best at any one thing, but a speaker that does well enough all around to satisfy a lot of people. and at an attractive price and appearance as well.

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

7. jad

jad Agent

Stereophile is not the same magazine once was. Their ratings are little more meaningful than most on audio review.

8. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Bob you must understand that it would just not be appropriate for the boys at Stereophile to give an A note to any piece of equipment that is actually affordable. It
    doesn't matter how good the equipment is, they have a
    "standard" to maintain.
    So the B they gave Paradigm is the best you can hope for.
    Robert[​IMG]

9. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Robert, Believe me I was very pleased to see the praise that the paradigms received[​IMG]
    In addition check out the rating ps audio hca-2 received an 'A' rating for solid state amps the cheapest by far at $1695 some of the other amps were as much as $35000,00[​IMG]
    Hey if anything else It is a good place to start for someone auditioning gear, heck I might just check out the ps audio with that kind of rating[​IMG]
    Bob