Stereophile Test CD 2- Track #8

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Deacon, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Dec 18, 2001
    I just received my copies of the three Stereophile Test CD's. I have been concentrating on the #2 disc, specifically track #8. I'm not sure how to describe this music, maybe "Big Band", but I like it very much.

Does anyone have recommendations on music of this sort. Note, I only want high quality recordings, thank you very much.
  2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Jul 8, 1998
    I am not an authority on Big Band, but I highly reccomend a DVD-A disk called Big Phatt Band, Swinging for the Fences.

There is a Dolby Digital mix in addition to the DVD-A mix (meaning you can play it on a normal DVD player), that I really enjoy (I do not have DVD-A capability as yet).

It may also be available as a normal CD. The sonics are great, and they will make good use of a sub, if you have one. Very solid bass/drums, and horns that are clear and crisp. The DD mix puts you in a chair right in the middle of the studio.

I tend to gravitate towards hard rock (AC/DC, Sabbath, Rush, Zep), but really like this disc.

3. James Corey

James Corey Stunt Coordinator

Oct 16, 2000
    This may be slightly left of "St. James Infirmary", but the very first audiophile recording I heard in 1977 was the Sheffield Lab's Direct to Disc "King James Version" with Harry James and his band.
    It's a great compilation of swing standards and a few swing versions of 'contemporary' tunes. It was recorded in 1976, and is still one of my favourite demo albums. There were also 2 other titles recorded in this manner, "Comin' from a good place' and 'Still Harry After All These Years', all of which have been available from Sheffield Labs for some time now, "remastered in Sheffield's own 20+-16 Ultra Matrix Processing from the original analong master tapes."
    I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but all 3 are highly recommended.... see more at