Stereophile Recommended Components

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Berry, Jul 22, 2002.

1. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone post a link to Stereophile's Recommended Components list wherever it may be? I looked in their website and couldn't readily find it. I am mainly looking for the CD player list, but also for speakers.

Thanks

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    David,

Understandably, the Recommended Components list is not available online per Stereophile policy. You are probably best to buy a back issue or wait until the next one in October (April is the other month-twice yearly).

I have found it an excellent first cut at judging the relative sonic quality of components. It is never totally complete as no list could be, but it is almost always accurate (sort of a superb Zagat survey of audio).

The other option is to start a subscription to The Absolute Sound which has hired some of the better Stereophile writers as of late and is starting to put out its own lists of component rankings.

I also check from time to time the best of lists on audiorevolution.com, soundstage.com, enjoythemusic.com, and others.

You will find, I believe, that the Stereophile list remains the best. I think they realize their sales would be cut short if they put this online. They are very fair, however, about posting classic reviews on their site, which is excellent and has a decent search engine. The Absolute Sound site is a pay site which is very frustrating.

If you have a more specific question, perhaps I can answer here.

3. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

David, what is your budget for a CDP? I can check my back-issues to see what falls in your pricerange. I know that Roy Hall has a new CDP out for around $500 that's supposed to be nice. A Rega Planet($950) is also on their list, as is the Arcam FMJ CD23($2K). An external DAC could be an option maybe, there are lots of DAC's to be had these days that do upsampling if your interested. [​IMG]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Use Stereophile's list merely as a guide. Note that this list is, of course, based on reviews, some of which may be subjective. Also, note that this list is limited to components that Stereophile has reviewed. A number of quality components likely are not included.

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I only named the Planet and the Arcam CDP's because I auditioned both of them in my home about 1 1/2 ago. The Arcam is great player if you can afford it. The Planet is also an excellent CDP. My advice, audition them in your system first, then make a decision. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for the responses. Lee, after reading some threads in which you have participated, you will be pleased to know that I have a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD player. It is fantastic.
    The reason I was looking for the list is, as mentioned, I just want a relatively well thought out guide for a starting point when I upgrade. I listened to a pair of Triangle Celius speakers with Musical Fidelity components hooked up to it and was told that these speakers were Class A with respect to this list. I also wanted to see in which Class the Bryston 4B-ST and Paradigm Studio 60v2 were in.

David

8. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

is "ES" and "changer" an oxymoron? [​IMG]

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff asked: