Stereo VCR and Logic 7 / DPL II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ErikF, Feb 15, 2003.

1. ErikF

ErikF Auditioning

I just recently hooked up a H/K AVR-325 and set of JBL NSP1 II speakers. All the digital inputs sound great (dvd player and an xbox). I also have a Sony Hi-Fi stereo VCR hooked up and no matter what surround mode I select; Logic 7, DPL II, or DTS:Neo 6, the sound seems to be concentrated in the center channel. Those modes work fine on my other analog inputs (CD player, satellite receiver, tuner, etc). I have my satellite receiver hooked up to the VCR with standard coax and the rca line out of my VCR to my 325. I also tried using another Sony stereo VCR that I have and got the same results. Am I doing something wrong?

2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

I don't see any problem.

3. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Erik,

" and no matter what surround mode I select; Logic 7, DPL II, or DTS:Neo 6, the sound seems to be concentrated in the center channel."

If the material you are playing is mono you will get sound only from your center channel on PLII and L7.

If you are using a store bought VHS tape with a stereo sound track and are just getting sound in the center channel try adjusting your tracking. It can be off enough such that your picture is OK but the sound isn't coming through in stereo.

Shawn

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

To add to what Shawn said, make sure there isn't a menu selection in the VCR that allows you to output a mono signal. Our 3 year-old Mitsubishi VCR allows for the selection of either stereo or mono.

Michael