stereo sub and pc satellite speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mikeHende, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mikeHende

mikeHende Agent

For surround sound purposes, can I use a dual voice coil "stereo" sub with "pc" satellite speakers? If so, I don't understand how the satelite speakers can be connected?

2. Steve Rabbit

Steve Rabbit Agent

A DVC subwoofer exists to give you more wiring options for whatever amplifier you wish to purchse. Thus, that 4 ohm DVC subwoofer can be used on a general 8 ohm amp found everywhere, or if you happen to stumble upon a 2 ohm amp somewhere, you could use that instead. You wouldnt be *stuck* looking for and purchasing an 8 ohm amp. In this case.

A single subwoofer will not play a stereo sound, no matter how many coils are on the driver.

however, you absolutely can use a subwoofer, DVC or SVC or even QVC as a surround speaker or even in combination with your satelite.

probably the easiest way to implement such a device would be to use the preamp outs for the surround speakers on your reciever as signal in to the plate amp on your subwoofer. You will need one subwoofer PER satelite. I like to place them directly below the satelite as well. I suppose in the back corners of the room would be great and even preferrable locations as well.

there are other ways to accomplish the same thing, but they are all harder and more complicated, and arguably not good ways to go anyways. I personally like having low frequencies represented in my surround speakers (jurassic park becomes the coolest movies ever) so I think you are on to something here. But dont mistake DVC drivers for stereo sound!