Stereo recievers in the Sub $200 dollar range.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alex-F-V, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

My little brother just got some "cheepo" (don't know the brand)speakers from my brother in law and he wants a stereo reciever to power them.
    I don't know how much power they can handle right now (at home gotta check later). But he has $100 bucks and I said I would spot him up to another $100 bucks for his birthday.

So I don't want to buy something totally useless and crappy to go with the speakers, I would rather have him get a decent reciever incase he gets some decent speakers later.

So what do you guys reccommend on this tight budget. BTW Used or refurbished is definitely acceptable.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here you go....refurbished Onkyo TX-8211 stereo receiver for $99.88 plus shipping.

Considering this receiver myself. Go to Onkyo's website and for $25.00, you can add 2 extra years of warranty (for a total of 3 years).

3. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

Hell that looks perfect... Now I can buy it myself and totally surprise him.

Unless there are any other recommendations?

Thx Danny! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

You could also check out the Harman Kardon 3370-z here. Cost is $147 and includes 2 year mfr warranty. It has a little more power at 70/wpc than the Onkyo 8211 and has binding post instead of spring clips if that matters. Plus has a subwoofer output plus pre-out/main-in connections. It is also rated at 95 wpc for 4ohm speakers.

Either receiver would be good, I think the HK has a little more flexibility.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Great recommendation, Greg! The HK sounds like a winner as well.

And you're welcomed, Alex.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like the HK in the pick there for a cheap stereo reciever. It will definantly do the job and HK is a quality company so I would look at that one even though it is a little more.