What's new

Stereo receiver question (1 Viewer)

Cliff B

Agent
Hi all,
I have to replace my old receiver which has bitten the dust. I've got a pair of speakers that I plan on using (Yamaha NS10s) but I'm unsure of what wattage on the receiver would be appropriate.
The specs on the speakers are as follows:
Power Capacity:
Program: 60 watts
Max: 120 watts
Nominal Impedance
8 ohms
Any suggestions on what power rating would be best for the receiver? 100 watts/channel? More? Less?
BTW: I'm not really looking for a particular manufacturer. That will be determined later. I just want to make sure that I've got a receiver that matches my speakers properly without doing any damage to one or the other.
Many thanks!

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
You are more likely to damage your speakers with too little power, rather than too much, as too little power can force your receiver into clipping if you turn it up too high in order to get to a listenable volume. Get the most powerful receiver you can afford, listen at sane volume levels and enjoy!

Cliff B

Agent
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the response.
So, if I were to buy a receiver rated at 100 watts per channel, I'd be alright with that?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
100 watts would be MORE than fine. Realize, that it only takes maybe a watt or two to reach a decent volume. Speaker sensitivity should be listed too, and it will be some number with Db/w/m. So at one meter away, with one watt of power, they will be that # of decibals loud. Usually this number is pretty high, so to get 85 or so watts, depending on the speaker, you only need one watt. Every 3 db increase doubles the required amount of amplifications, so in reality, a 150 watt amp, compared to a 100 watt amp will produce about the same volume, given that those numbers are actually a reflection on the power output. Those "wattage" numbers are VERY often fudged to look higher. An average amp rated an 100 watts will RARELY put out anything close to that much power for more than an instant, if at all. So, really, dont worry about wattage, and get a good brand. Better brands will be much better about power ratings, and they will have better quality and sound. And like rick said, more power is always better. Too little power and you will clip the amp and damage your speakers, and prolly the amp too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks