1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stereo PCM mixed for Pro-Logic II? Uncompressed 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMK, Mar 1, 2003.

1. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Just curious:

Do you think a Stereo PCM track mixed with Pro-Logic II decoding in mind be preferable to a DD 5.1 or DTS track? I guess the question is whether PL II's 5.1 derivation scheme is good enough that something mixed specifically for it could be given the same sound placement as in a discrete mix.

You would get an uncompressed 5.1 mix. It would be playable through any stereo or TV. It would take the about same amount of space as the DD 2.0 + DD 5.1 + DTS option set that is found on many DVDs today.

I guess the big issue would be that the people with DD and/or DTS hardware would have to use Pro-Logic I, but I'm curious about what people think of this anyway.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, The PCM discs I have don't sound right when I activate PL2

And losing the discreteness of 5.1 isn't worth the boost

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I THINK that the PCM 2.0 track on the City Lights DVD (Image) has it encoded in Dolby Surround. All the imported sound effects stayed in the center front channel, while the score surrounds.

4. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I have a bunch of film score CDs that are Dolby Prologic encoded, and I think the majority of them sound better in stereo over PLII music. After tweaking the settings, I could get pretty enjoyable sound from PLII music on vocal content, but with a full orchestra it sounds pretty poor.

PCM may be "uncompressed," but it's a really inefficient way of representing audio. I'd much rather have a 1.5mpbs DTS 5.1 track with 5 channels of discrete audio plus a 192kbps 2.0 Dolby Digital track for compatibility over matrixed surround from a 1.4mbps stereo PCM track. Matrixed surround decoders have obviously improved, but there are still some limitations to the format.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Uncompressed yes, but still matrixed and even the newest matrix decoding will have sonic limitations.
    Having said that I would prefer an uncompressed PCM track over a DD 2.0 IF a matrixed surround track or Mono track were the only tracks available.

And having said that, at the end of the day the opened soundstage you can get with discrete 5.1 is pretty impressive.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I hope that HD-DVD will have enough bandwidth to make 6 channel PCM practical

mmmmmm

7. Michael St. Clair

PCM (most of which are Dolby Surround encoded) laserdiscs in DLP2 sound fucking awesome!

Most DVDs that have PCM are stereo music video (and concert) titles, or have other non-surround-encoded soundtracks.

There's nothing about PCM stereo that would make it a bad idea to listen in DLP2 unless the soundtrack was simply designed for stereo playback!

8. Tom Vet

Tom Vet Stunt Coordinator

I listen to all my movies via the Sennheiser 5 sounds from headphones. Headphones used Denon AHD-750 low 30 Ohm impedance. I used to have speakers but too many fines for disturbing the peace. There is nothing like a jet coming from in back of you from virtual ears, heard flying over top if your head, then landing in front of you. *All* sound heard is from source in heaphones using the "haas" effect. I have 8 devices for every sound source 2 DVD, 2 CD, VHS, HDTV, puter, R1-6 DVD player.

3 AM I can have speakers blasting my ears off yet, no one else hears a sound. Device cost $39.99 each from www.spidergear.com

Denon Headphones @ $175 a pair but PQ is there from 30 Ohm and NO disturbing peace fines 1994/2002 and counting at $125 a fine. Brent '[email protected]' Butterworth introduced me to in Home Theater Magazine 1994 article, thanks Brent. Don't need Dolby 2 when you have closed cup headphones like Denon! [​IMG]