What's new

Stereo on DishNet? (1 Viewer)

Butch Searle-Spratt

Auditioning
Could someone clue me in as to how many of the channels on the Dishnetwork are broadcast in stereo. I am assuming that the premium channels are, but I need to know how many of the basic ones are. My digital cable currently offers no stereo and I need to make an upgrade here needless to say. Thanx for the help. Also do the premiums offer DD5.1?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
As far as I know, most everything is in stereo. If the program source is in stereo, Dish will broadcast in stereo.
There may be some exceptions such as shopping channels, some of the educational channels such as PBS-U and others up in the 9000 range - possibly some other niche programming...
the AUD music channels are mono but the 30 CD channels are stereo...
-Scott

Jon_T

Agent
Dish currently offers DD on 10 of it's PPV channels. Also there is DD on HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, HD-PPV, Showtime East and West, Starz East.
Here is a quote from Showtime.
`Showtime Networks plans to implement Dolby Digital 5.1 on all other East Coast feeds of SHOWTIME (SHO2, SHO3,
SHO EXTREME, SHO BEYOND, SHO WOMEN, SHO FAMILYZONE and SHO NEXT) and THE MOVIE CHANNEL and THE MOVIE CHANNEL 2 in the first quarter of 2001,'' Hayden added.
It remains to be seen if Dish will pass along the DD feed to it's customers but I don't see why won't do it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
On Dish Network, Showtime-HD and HBO-HD are only DD 5.1 on a few of their movies. Most recent movies are DD 5.1, but the older ones--and even some of the ones from the last few years that have notable 5.1 mixes, like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, are only broadcast in DD 2.0.
The Dish HD-PPV channel is DD 5.1.
I have rarely seen network HDTV in DD 5.1. ABC shows NYPD blue and some of its Saturday/Sunday movies in DD 5.1. But that's about it.
- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks