Stereo in closet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark_F_G, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Mark_F_G

Mark_F_G Auditioning

My wife and I are in the process of building a new house. I am considering installing a repeater system and then hiding all my components in a nearby closet. The closet was supposed to be a narrow linen closet, but it should be plenty of room for my receiver, dvd player, cd player, satellite receiver, etc. I have never used a repeater system and I am also a little concerned about having proper ventilation in the closet...any advice?????

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

First, welcome to the Forum!

When you say “narrow” linen closet, there is a concern that you might not have adequate access behind the equipment. Assuming there will be no rear access, the shelving will have to be wide enough to allow you to turn the equipment around. The shelving will also have to be deep enough for the equipment; some receivers these days are as deep or deeper than they are wide, especially when you allow for clearance for the necessary connections and cabling.

Repeaters are no big deal. An IR receiver will be positioned at a convenient location in the room (presumably up front) that will convert the IR signal to one that travels on wiring. In the cabinet a second unit will split out the hard-wired signal to the various components, and an IR transmitter will be placed over each component’s IR receiver. Alternately, the transmitters could be located on the closet door, as long as positioning is in line with the component’s IR receiver. This way, depending on the distance between the door and the shelves, and the positioning of the components and their respective IR receivers, one IR transmitter may be able to operate more than one component.

Judging from your equipment list, I wouldn’t expect ventilation to be a problem; there will be several feet between the highest component and the ceiling of the closet. However, it wouldn’t be hard to install a small vent fan wired to a thermostatic switch.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
  4. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have done this. Click the link in my sig to see some pics. I ran some 1-1/2" conduit from the closet to the TV to run all the cables. (1-1/2" is almost too small)

I use the IR Blaster built in to my tv to relay the IR signals to the closet via CAT5 cable and emitters on the equipment.

I too only have a couple pieces of equipment but the closet does warm up a bit when watching movies at higher volumes. Most of the time I just crack the door a bit to allow a little more air flow. Maybe some day I will install a vent.

As Wayne stated space is important to consider. I could not place my DVD player to the left or right most side of the shelf because the drawer would not have enough room to open b4 hitting the door frame. I would say allow at least 3-4" for cables on the back of your equipment and that might be a very conservative measurement.

If you need more info or more pictures of my setup let me know.

Good luck