What's new

Stereo Amplifiers with Subwoofer out?? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Manual- Not sure what you're after here.
A stereo amp has 2 outputs, either one of which could be used for a sub. But then you'd only be left with one output.
You might be able to Y the line level connection before the sub, and use both outputs to power either 2 different subs, or 1 sub with 2 inputs.
Or maybe what you're looking for is a 3 channel amp. Then you run stereo, 2 channel, through it in addition to 1 line for a sub.
------------------

Fletcher

Grip
Hmm...I guess I also am not sure what you are after. Maybe you didn't mean stereo amplifier and just meant a stereo receiver that also has a line level sub output?? I guess I am going to assume you have a powered sub. If so, you have two options here. First one is just get a Dolby Digital receiver and only use it for stereo. Otherwise you can just get a regular stereo receiver/amp and use the speaker level inputs on your sub and wire the speakers from the sub speaker outputs. There may be a stereo receiver/amp that actually has a line level sub output but I don't know enough about stereo receiver/amps. Maybe someone else could help.
Fletcher

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Manuel, Crutchfield has a three stereo receivers with subwoofer outputs:
1) Denon DRA-395, $350: This receiver has a mono subwoofer output. Here is the link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DRA395&o=M&a=0
2) Harman/Kardon HK 3370, $300 and Harman/Kardon HK 3470, $400: These receivers have left and right subwoofer outputs that Crutchfield describes as follows:
"Subwoofer Preamp Output Jacks: There are two full range subwoofer preamp output jacks on the rear panel of the receiver. These jacks are provided for connection to a powered subwoofer with line-level inputs."
For the HK 3370, go to:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...HK3370&o=M&a=0
For the HK 3470, go to:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...HK3470&o=M&a=0
I haven't used any of these receivers, but I've read good things about the Harman/Kardon models. I almost bought the HK 3470 for my second system last November, but went with an NAD C 350 integrated amp instead (no subwoofer output).
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all, I am lookinpg for an stereo stereo receiver with a line level sub output. So special thanks for KeithH, that was exactly what I was looking for!
I may end buying a 5.1 receiver, but I already have one and just want a not so expensive amplifier for listening to music. Oh, and the sub I already have only a line level input.
The HK looks beautifull...

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Manuel, it would help those trying to help you to know what your asking for. When you said amplifier, most of us take that to mean a separate 2 or more channel amp. The difference between an amp and a receiver is, an amp must have a pre-amplifier or what we call a pre-processor for home theater, in order to be functional. A receier on the other hand has the pre-amp AND amplifier combined into one unit.
The controversy was because it's the pre-amp part that has the subwoofer output, and that ain't in the amp. :)
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

J

John Morris

If you are looking for an inexpensive short term solution in a stereo receiver with subwoofer out, check this out:
Denon 375 The last couple of these sold for less than $100 and they do include a 90 day Denon Warranty.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug,
When considering two-channel amplification, a receiver combines a pre-amp, amp, and tuner in one box. If you remove the tuner, you have an integrated amplifier (pre-amp and amp in one box). Then one can buy separates, meaning a separate pre-amp and power amp. Taking a step further, one can buy monoblock amps instead of a two-channel power amp.
Manuel,
I was in a similar position as you last fall. I wanted to put together a bedroom stereo system and considered an inexpensive A/V receiver (i.e., surround-sound receiver). However, with the help of folks here and some research on my own, I learned that when stereo music is the goal, you are usually better off with a stereo amp at a given price point than an A/V receiver. This is because a stereo amp is designed for music, so more attention is paid to the design elements that lead to good stereo performance. With an A/V receiver, you are paying for multi-channel decoding and a lot of other features that you don't need for stereo music. Inclusion of these extraneous features and circuitry usually leads to compromises in two-channel performance. So, I quickly dismissed A/V receivers for the second system and considered the HK 3470 stereo receiver. I then decided to go with an NAD C 350 integrated amp (no tuner). I didn't want a tuner anyway, and integrated amps are often better for music than stereo receivers. This, again, is a simplicity issue. Inclusion of a tuner can lead to compromises elsewhere in the component design. An integrated amp is a simpler component and more attention can be paid to the amp and pre-amp sections at a given price point. The NAD C 350 is an excellent integrated amp that can be purchased for under $400.
Earlier this year, I was using a Sony STR-V444ES A/V receiver both for music and movies. It is good for music for a mid-priced A/V receiver, but I wanted something better for music. Rather than spend a lot of money for a better A/V receiver, I bought an NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp (one model up from the aforementioned C 350) for $525. As good as the C 350 is, the C 370 is outstanding, especially given the relatively low price as far as quality stereo integrated amps go. So, I use the 'V444ES for surround-sound duty and the C 370 for stereo music in my home theater room.
------------------
My:

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
John, the Denon DRA-375RD looks amazing. Specially at that price!! But I can't find any information in relation to the subwoofer output. Are you sure it have one?

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Keith
Your reasoning is the same that I have. The NAD surely will be just perfect, I also considered an Acurus to do the job. But for now Im looking for something more on the cheap side (trying not to fall in the "mass consumer brands" like Sony or Pionner).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Manuel, you ought to really consider the NAD C 350 integrated amp. I got mine from Sound City, an authorized NAD dealer (1-800-370-3156), back in November for $325. That's a great price considering the retail price is $430. Even though I bought the C 350 many months ago, I would expect Sound City to still have it for $325. That's comparable to the price of the Denon and H/K stereo receivers. I'd go with the NAD. It's a great amp.
------------------
My:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks