What's new

Stereo Amplifier advice/question (1 Viewer)

Mike Marino

Auditioning
I'm about to begin renovating my kitchen/living room area and want to install 8 speakers (4 stereo sets) in the ceiling for music only, running from a single source (CD, Tuner). I'm wondering what type of amplifier or controller I need? I have an old stereo receiver with A/B outputs that I used to run 4 speakers on, but all the new receivers and amps seem to be 5.1 or 7.1, and I don't wanty to spend a fortune on amps and controllers for what will essentially be background music. Any suggestions? Would it blow up my reciever (125 watts X 4) if I just put 2 sets of speaker wire in each output? Thanks...

joseFMJ

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on the impedance of the speakers, and how you wire them up. Some receivers can handle 4ohms or less, some can't. I think if you keep the total impedance above 4ohm per channel that the amplifier sees, you should be ok. For instance lets say you have 4 speakers per side, with each speaker rated at 8ohms, you can wire two speakers together in series resulting in 16ohms, wire another pair the same way...you now have two speakers @ 16ohms...hook one pair up to the Left A and the other to the Left B speaker terminals on the receiver, this should present a load of 8ohms to the Left channel amplifier. Do the same for the right channel and you should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks