stereo amp to drive one speaker?.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Eric:F, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Eric:F

Eric:F Stunt Coordinator

i'm hoping for some help from the amp experts out there.
    i know that some stereo amps are designed to be bridged, this one is a straight 2 channel design.
    i have a good 100w/channel stereo amp (hk pa2000) that i want to use to drive one center channel speaker.
    can i just hook up both positive (red) outputs to the positive on the speaker and the same with both negatives (black)to the negative speaker input?
    the speaker is 8ohm impedance.
    will this result in 200w into 1 channel?
    what about just using 1 side of the amp to drive the speaker and leaving the other side of the amp unused, will this hurt the amp?
    thanks,
    eric

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    If your A/V receiver has preouts, you can run an RCA composite cable from (preout)rear surround back to 2 ch. receiver's tv input (left side). Then hook your speaker to the 2 ch. receiver's left main speaker output. Push the tv button on the 2 ch. receiver, and go into the setup menus on the A/V receiver, and enable the rear center (L. rear surr. back).

I'm taking it for granted that you're tryiny to setup for 6.1, with a 5.1 receiver (with preouts)? If you don't have preouts on back of A/V receiver, I'm not sure you can do it. If you can, I don't know how. Maybe someone else knows.
    Good luck!

BTW.........
    I have mine setup the way I explained it, and it works great! The only difference is that instead of a 2 ch. receiver, I'm using another 5.1 receiver. That shouldn't make a difference though. [​IMG]

3. Eric:F

Eric:F Stunt Coordinator

what i'm trying to do is take the pre out for the center channel on my receiver and use a good outboard amp (pa2000) to power the one center speaker.
    i know that the best way would be to use a mono block amp, but i have a pa2000 that i'm not using...
    any ideas?

4. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Don't know a lot about this type of connection, but wouldn't it work the same way as I suggested? Just hook to center preout, instead of L. surround back? Maybe someone with more knowledge of these hookups will chime in.............

5. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Yes you can do that, and no it won't hurt the amp.

If your speakers have high & low frequency terminals you could bi-amp the speakers. Remove both links. Buy a RCA Y cable, and take that from the pre-out of the av pre-amp into the poweramp. So that basically results in a dual mono-amp signal. Now connect the left channel into treble, right channel into bass. That's what I do for my centre speaker.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    First check to see if the amp can be run bridged. If it can, then it will tell you to do this by running the positive of one channel and the negative of the other. This will give you greater output than a single channel, but ONLY if the amp says it can be bridged.

It says this amp is bridgable, but it is bridgable from 4 to 2 channels. It doesn't say anything about bridging those two into a single channel.