Stereo Amp (GLI AMP-75 & 80) -- to drive DVC sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi guys,
    Not sure where to put this question, but being that Im looking to drive a DVC - DIY sub project seemed it would fit here best...
    I know little to nothing about who builds quailty pro sound amps. Have read some post dealing with them but at that time, not have an intrest in them it didnt stick if you know what I mean. The one thing i do remember was input signal voltage problems with some amps.....
    Im trying to find info on the mid line GLI (not pro series) Amp 75 & 80. (Big VU-Meters) Seems specs are hard to come buy with what searching i've done to this point...
    The GLI Amp-75 is rated at 300 watts a channel (ohm load dont know)? ~ and is non bridgeable. Can anyone shed some light on wheather this amp would do all-right driveing a DIY-4ohm coils, sub?
    =============
    Needing only around 150 watts a coil seems that it should do fine. Or are the lower end lines of GLI just plain ~{junk}~ ! [​IMG]
    =============
    The price is right at 149.00 and 10.98 to ship,,,, ~ and being that amplifacation when powering subs can be a a bit more forgiveing in the Amp spec quailty deptmartment, could this be a good contender as opossed to the higher end stuff.
    Any input on this brand, specificaly the GLI Amp 75 & 80 for my given use would be apreciated.
    Thanks
    Geoff

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Bump
    Might anyone have anything to say about GLI Amps...? Even second hand stuff, word of mouth...
    Are we talking Pyramid, Pyle, low end DJ amps for a comparison? {Very not good im told}
    Might someone have some web sites that might help. Im just haveing no luck find much about these amps. This could be a very bad sign in and of itself, giveing me my answer without asking...
    With the web sites excellent 30 day return policey, I guess I could demo it at the cost of shipping both ways. ~ This would be aprox 22.00 if I where to choose to send it back.
    Decisions decisions. [​IMG]
    Anyone

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well after ton of searching, which I certainly am not the best at, I've located some info...
    ---------------
    GLi Amp ~ GA-75
    ---------------
    Two channel-stereo non bridgeable
    Peak power - 700-watts
    200 watts per/channel ~ @ 8ohms
    300 watts per/channel ~ @ 4ohms
    Freq response ~ 10hz-60 +0/3-db
    Signal/noise (IHFA) weighted ~ 101-db
    Fanless cooling ~ full pass thru
    Dual Large Lighted VU meters
    Power on LED
    Clipping - per/channel ~ LED's
    Dual out-put level cotrols
    Headphone jack
    Universal voltage ~ 110-220
    Billet Alum face
    Large Billet Alum rack handels
    1"W x .5"thick x 5.5" H
    Rack mountable
    19-W x 5.5-H x 11.25-D
    Weight - unpacked 22.5-lbs
    Inputs ~ CD/Main/Tuner/Pre-Amp
    Color ~ Black
    List price - $529.00
    ====================
    Three differnt locations allowed me to collect the information given above. Im sure it's just copied from GLi spec sheets, and we all know how totaly accurate they are!!!
    On paper, (thier paper) and (thier way of rateing - giveing specs), given what I can buy these for, ~{149.00 + 10.98 shipping}~ it looks to be worth a try. I think it might be fine for what I would be looking to use it for, driveing DVC DIY sub.
    So might anyone like to comment on
    anything so far, or speak in regards to this companys Amps, and thier quality....?
    Geoff

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Thomas for your imput,
    I've been to your link, and what ever is trying to load when I click on it, will load a blank white screen ~{for me}~!!
    (Im a web-tv user) so im must assume that more/better info is located thier...!
    I figured that the information I was able to pick up spec wise searching, did leave me to ponder a weak unit! Non bridgeing, dosnt double poower at load drop, and the feq resonse rateing is at ~{non driven loads}~ and no THD rateing at all.
    ==========
    What was in the link that I cant load????
    ==========
    Yes probley should stay away, aint no Crown for sure, [​IMG]
    =========
    But driveing an effecient EBS sub, would this still be money thrown away??
    ========
    Thomas, anyone?

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Geoff
    Well try this link http://www.glipro.com/ then click on the amp section. The main page has a 'Flash" intro so that maybe the problem
    My take on equipment is that it is an investment. Good power amps can literally be used for decades. So if cost were the main concern, I'd buy a used brand name amp over a new cheap unknown one.
    [Edited last by ThomasW on November 13, 2001 at 12:32 AM]

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thomas,
    Yes, I can get threw the flash intro and to the amp page, but after clicking onto the amp, thats when it goes all white. {if it's a pdf file}, that, Web-tv dont do.
    Kinda like this amp thing, I probley just should'nt do it. It would seem that at its price, I was looking for someone to tell me, {well at that price}, it might be a worth while. Kinda simaliar to a child doing something wrong and looking to see if moms gona let him get away with it, usually the kid knows better. I guess ~ I know better, past buying experiences have left me less than happy and while it may serve it's purpose short term, I know that feeling of, just another piece not being used because it fell short of what it should have been to begin with.
    Yes, correcta-mundo, I think I will look to move up the food chain you might say Amp wise...
    Ouch, some of that stuff is pricey. Just, Gota pull up my pants and do it right the first time aroud..
    Thanks Thomas, will do some reading on pro amps ~ The non quasi mo mo kind....
    Geoff