Stereo A/V on Genesis 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ellinger, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

My girlfriend dug up her old Genesis 2 system the other day, and we found that the controller ports are working less than reliably. When searching for a replacement option, I found that there's actually a Genesis 3 model that came out not-so-long-ago. It's only $20 for a brand new system. The only problem is, I've heard that it doesn't work with the stereo A/V cables (which I would like to use).
    Does any one have any experience with the Genesis 3 and can confirm/deny that stereo A/V cables work with it?

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Chad,

It only comes with a Video/Mono RCA cable. I haven't tried it with stereo cables.

3. Michael St. Clair

Word on USENET is that the A/V connector does indeed pass stereo, not that Genesis stereo ever seemed that great in any games I played.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

GameSX seems to support that theory. Their Genesis 2 pinout page ( here ) lists Stereo L / R on seperate pins. GameSX is a GREAT site for finding out info on videogame console controllers, output, RGB modifications etc. Great forum too for techy stuff.
    BaySoftGames list a Genesis AV Cable, but don't go into much detail about it. It'd be worth shooting them an email to ask them for more information + compatibility with the Genesis III.
    Or there's always the eBay powersellers.
    nate.gamers have an official Sega Genesis AV Cable that's boxed with the three standard RCA connectors at the end. It's got a bidprice of $7.99 with a BIN of $12.99

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

But all that's academic because you asked IF it worked with the cables, not where to find the cables.

Sigh. Sorry.

6. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

From what I gather on newsgroups, stereo sound is no biggie, so the standard mono A/V cable that comes with the system should be fine.