1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stepping up to 4K

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Reaver2218, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Reaver2218

Reaver2218 Auditioning

Glen Farkas
    I am stepping up from my old 8 year setup of 1080i/p tv and blu-ray player to the new 4K UHD setup I am looking for a good entry level blu-ray player that will play 4K blu-ray my receiver also has 4K upscaling.

My setup is a TCL 55-p607 TV, Onkyo TX-NR777 receiver all this is in my living room for family viewing.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Well, since the TCL has both HDR and Dolby Vision, you'll want a player that can take advantage of both versions of HDR. The expensive Oppo is the Rolls Royce of players, but you pay a premium for the privilege of owning such a solid piece of merchandise.

The two cheapest alternatives right now that play both HDR and DV are the LG 970 and the Philips 7502. Both of these players have recently received firmware updates that allow Dolby Vision discs to be decoded for your TV. They are both priced close to the same. The LG has a history of noisy disc drives though some of the most recent builds of the player don't seem to be plagued as badly with noise as the earlier ones were.

I have the Philips player. It's barebones for sure (only two streaming services on it if that's important to you: Netflix and YouTube), but it does a fine job with DVDs, BDs, and UHDs. It has not given me any problems at all and has worked with everything I have thrown at it.

Reaver2218 likes this.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

There are a couple more options coming soon for UHD players with both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. Sony's new X-700 player is out now, but it will not get DV support until a future firmware upgrade is released. Panasonic has a couple of players coming out around June with Dolby Vision support, too (probably via a future firmware upgrade as well). So, if you do not care for the couple of existing lower priced options and if the Oppo is out of your price range (you said budget player), then you may want to wait for the Panasonic or gamble that Sony will come through with its promised firmware upgrade within a reasonable time frame.

I am currently using Sony's previous model -- the X-800 -- which does not have Dolby Vision support. The lack of DV hasn't been a big deal to me, even though my Vizio 4K display does support the format. There are not a lot of UHD titles with Dolby Vision available currently that I'm interested in owning, although more are coming. I'm still leaning towards picking up the Oppo later this year, but want to see how the Panasonic players shake out in price and performance first. Besides, I am accumulating Amazon credits via my credit card towards this purchase, so the longer I wait the less I'll have to pay out of pocket.

4. atfree

atfree Producer
    Supporter

Alex
    I just stepped up to 4k myself (wasn't planning to but old plasma TV died). I didn't want to spend a lot on the 4k blu-ray player as I only use it for discs (streaming via my new 4k TV). I found the LG UP875 for $99 at Best Buy (it's priced similarly at various retailers).

Great player, no apps, internet via ethernet for firmware updates, but full 4k with HDR support, upscales DVD/BD great, etc. Loads fast, sleek, no nonsense design. For a basic 4k player, can't be beat at the price.

UPDATE: currently $95.99 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/LG-UP875-Compatibility-Upconvert-Ethernet/dp/B077RSLB7M