Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access - 2020)

Kevin Hewell

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Sure, it's a TV production with all the limits of a TV production. But I remember it being ambitious, unique and engrossing.
I 100% agree.

ManW_TheUncool

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
ManW
Given how risk averse big studio execs tend to be, what's the likelihood this just gets shelved indefinitely... even if they can resume production by year's end? And the actual release?

I'm assuming they haven't actually completed production, especially since there seems no news of that.

Meanwhile, I decided to watch a little of the beginning episode of the old miniseries, and it's not bad IMHO. Certainly no worse than anything else pre-millennium on TV as far as I recall... not that that's high praise or anything of course...

_Man_

joshEH

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh
Given how risk averse big studio execs tend to be, what's the likelihood this just gets shelved indefinitely... even if they can resume production by year's end? And the actual release?

I'm assuming they haven't actually completed production, especially since there seems no news of that.
Shooting fully wrapped back in early March, right before the world shut down due to COVID, so it's basically in the can -- I'm assuming they're doing modified post-production on the show as we speak, tweaked for social-distancing, etc. Editing, scoring, and the like can pretty much happen with minimal personnel and/or via "long-distance" means, so it will probably be completely finished by the end of the year.

As to whether the "too soon" factor will kick in for the network in terms of broadcast...yeah, I'm wondering about that myself now as well, honestly.

• Appreciate
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Shooting fully wrapped back in early March, right before the world shut down due to COVID, so it's basically in the can -- I'm assuming they're doing modified post-production on the show as we speak, tweaked for social-distancing, etc. Editing, scoring, and the like can pretty much happen with minimal personnel and/or via "long-distance" means, so it will probably be completely finished by the end of the year.

As to whether the "too soon" factor will kick in for the network in terms of broadcast...yeah, I'm wondering about that myself now as well, honestly.
Since the culture has no attention span any more, I don't think "too soon" is an issue. Plus, The Stand uses the flu as the set up for a story about a post-apocalyptic world. As bad as the real world pandemic has been, it's not going to cause the collapse of society.

Personally, I'm dreading all the inevitable low/no budget pandemic horror movies that will be made in the next year or two. Not because they're exploiting a tragedy (though they are) but because they will all be painfully obvious while thinking they're clever or subtle.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savitritmneha