What's new

Stephen King's The Stand (CBS All Access - 2020) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Given how risk averse big studio execs tend to be, what's the likelihood this just gets shelved indefinitely... even if they can resume production by year's end? And the actual release?

I'm assuming they haven't actually completed production, especially since there seems no news of that.

Meanwhile, I decided to watch a little of the beginning episode of the old miniseries, and it's not bad IMHO. Certainly no worse than anything else pre-millennium on TV as far as I recall... not that that's high praise or anything of course...

_Man_

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Given how risk averse big studio execs tend to be, what's the likelihood this just gets shelved indefinitely... even if they can resume production by year's end? And the actual release?

I'm assuming they haven't actually completed production, especially since there seems no news of that.
Shooting fully wrapped back in early March, right before the world shut down due to COVID, so it's basically in the can -- I'm assuming they're doing modified post-production on the show as we speak, tweaked for social-distancing, etc. Editing, scoring, and the like can pretty much happen with minimal personnel and/or via "long-distance" means, so it will probably be completely finished by the end of the year.

As to whether the "too soon" factor will kick in for the network in terms of broadcast...yeah, I'm wondering about that myself now as well, honestly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Shooting fully wrapped back in early March, right before the world shut down due to COVID, so it's basically in the can -- I'm assuming they're doing modified post-production on the show as we speak, tweaked for social-distancing, etc. Editing, scoring, and the like can pretty much happen with minimal personnel and/or via "long-distance" means, so it will probably be completely finished by the end of the year.

As to whether the "too soon" factor will kick in for the network in terms of broadcast...yeah, I'm wondering about that myself now as well, honestly.
Since the culture has no attention span any more, I don't think "too soon" is an issue. Plus, The Stand uses the flu as the set up for a story about a post-apocalyptic world. As bad as the real world pandemic has been, it's not going to cause the collapse of society.

Personally, I'm dreading all the inevitable low/no budget pandemic horror movies that will be made in the next year or two. Not because they're exploiting a tragedy (though they are) but because they will all be painfully obvious while thinking they're clever or subtle.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Release date officially announced by CBS -- Dec. 17th:

Also just noticed that a couple of male-character roles from the book have now been gender-swapped in the new CBS series -- "Ralph Brentner" is now "Ray Brentner" (played by Irene Bedard), and "The Ratman" is now "The Ratwoman" (played by Fiona Dourif, who brought an interesting vibe to her role on the Dirk Gently TV series adaptation a couple years back).

...Which, come to think, is something that the 1994 ABC miniseries also did -- the male character "Ray Flowers" from the book (the talk-radio DJ) became "Rae Flowers," and was played by Kathy Bates, so there's some nifty symmetry going on with the whole "Ray"-thing, here.

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
M-O-O-N spells "the first trailer just dropped":

Not a Whoopie fan, but this overall looks pretty interesting. I'm sure she will pull off Mother Abigail just fine.

So from that link I found this comparison of characters which held my interest:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Just got an email from CBS all access saying this is available to stream as of now. I think I know what I am doing this evening.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Finishing up Star Trek: Discovery right now, and gonna be firing up The Stand immediately afterwards. Can't freaking wait.

That's my order, too. I'll be back in a few hour with my thoughts. Looking forward to reading your review.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm do I wait and binge (and knock it out during a trial period) or start watching now?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Hmmm do I wait and binge (and knock it out during a trial period) or start watching now?
I have a wife who has to watch each episode as it comes out. I’d love to do what you’re thinking of. However, CBSAA is expanding it’s offerings. So being a regular subscriber ain’t so bad.

When I wrote this, I was thinking of the Mandalorian. My wife will have no interest in the Stand. I hope this new version is a lot better than the mini-series from long ago. I bought the blu ray and was unable to complete more than one episode.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I have a wife who has to watch each episode as it comes out. I’d love to do what you’re thinking of. However, CBSAA is expanding it’s offerings. So being a regular subscriber ain’t so bad.

yeah but I already have too many subscriptions.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
yeah but I already have too many subscriptions.
I gotcha. Don’t ya just hate it when you see a trailer for a series or movie you’d like to watch, and it’s with a streamer you don’t subscribe to, and your dance card is already full?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks