1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order Stephen King's The Stand (1994) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    141061_front.

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

joshEH and Richard V like this.
  2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Finally!!! Pre-ordered!!!

3. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Very, very curious to see the results of the "Brilliant Restoration." I believe this was edited on tape back in the day. The ad says they redid the special effects for HiDef, so I'm assuming it's along the lines of Star Trek TNG. I guess they invested because "The Stand" is going to be remade for CBS All Access or somesuch.

4. Message #4 of 15 Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Yup — evidently they’re actually going back to the original uncut film-negative for this, and are even producing brand-new VFX shots in HD (similar to TNG), replacing the old ones (which would look absolutely horrendous upscaled, due to originally being rendered on low-resolution NTSC videotape as you mention, endemic to far too many early-to-mid-‘90s genre productions).

Never dreamed this would finally happen, but apparently the upcoming CBS All Access series kicked the jams out on giving this baby a decent Blu-Ray release at long last.

Now if only they’d get ahold of director Mick Garris, who recently said that he’d shot a ton of fascinating BTS material during the production that he’d love to see included in a potential BD release.

dana martin likes this.
  5. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I'm sold, one of my all time favorite mini series.

joshEH likes this.
  6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
  7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I loved the novel, but have never seen this mini-series. How does it rank on the list of Stephen King's work on film?

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I need to wait for reviews to see if this is the original part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 as originally aired complete with openings and closing for each episode and not all edited together in one mess like the Laserdisc and VHS were. I still haven't watched my day 1 laserdisc because of this. I passed on the blu rays of Salems Lot and It because of this and some edited footage. I am sticking with the original, unedited Laserdiscs for those two. Not sure I like the idea of new effects either unless the original are also included. I only saw this when it originally aired and liked it a lot and wonder if it will hold up.

9. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    M O O N, that spells Flu made Who?

10. English Invader

English Invader Stunt Coordinator

Simon
    This is good news. I'm hoping they'll take the opportunity to do a Blu-Ray release of The Shining mini-series (also directed by Garris) as well since Doctor Sleep is set to hit cinemas in October.

11. sjbradford

sjbradford Stunt Coordinator

sjbradford
    I loved the book. The miniseries is OK, nothing more. The budget constraints showed - Mother Abagail’s house was created in the studio rather than shot on location, for example. And some of the casting was questionable: couldn’t they get someone with more star power than Jamey Sheridan to play Flagg? And the Parker Lewis guy as Harold? I do remember really liking Laura San Giacomo as Nadine, and Ray Walston as Glen

12. English Invader

English Invader Stunt Coordinator

Simon
    I think using lesser-known stars is one of the things that made the series work - as far as I can tell, the biggest names are Gary Sinise (who wouldn't be a name to me without Forrest Gump) and Brat-Packers Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald. They all made the characters their own and it meant the series didn't become a star vehicle for Al Pacino, Mel Gibson or whoever you had in mind for Randall Flagg - and I'm certainly glad we didn't end up with Tom Cruise or Charlie Sheen for Larry Underwood.

13. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    M-O-O-N spells SOLD!!!

14. Message #14 of 15 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Wow - amazing that The Stand is finally hitting Blu. I never thought this would happen.

I had read the Stephen King novel in the late 1980's, and thought it was superb - definitely SK's best book, and the post-apocalyptic/horror elements were very strong here. I liked the book so much that I held off on watching the mini-series until the 200X's, since I felt it couldn't hold a candle to the book.

However, I finally gave the mini-series a chance (on the old DVD set) and did really enjoy this. Though the novel by King is superior & has a lot more detail & scenes, the mini-series is extremely well-done, and one of the best - if not THE best & most faithful adaptations of a SK novel I've ever seen. Fairly decent production quality as well, for a '90's Tele-film. It was a good idea to make this a mini-series, and not a feature film (a film would never have worked due to the extreme length of the novel).

I did like how they kept a lot of elements from the book intact, i.e.:

-Having Nick Andros (played by Rob Lowe) be a deaf-mute.

-Having the Molly Ringwald character be pregnant before the plague began; this culminates in the birth of the baby at the end.

- Keeping the storyline of having the two separate & distinct "groups" of survivors drawn to either the "good", i.e. Mother Abigail - or the "evil" - Randall Flagg, AKA "The Dark Man".

The soundtrack was also amazing, and included: "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult, the '80's hit "Don't Dream it's Over" by Crowded House; ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man", and "Eve of Destruction" (that the Larry Underwood character is singing). Great songs, that really fit the scenes they're placed over in the film.

Agreed. The excellent casting was one of the many great strengths of this tele-film.

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Always found this an interesting Miniseries -- never read teh books so can't really say good or bad how they compare.

For some reason I always found the Miguel Ferrer storyline one of the more interesting. A lot the others characters were written as Good and Evil. Ferrer's role seemed to the man caught in the middle of the two groups

Doug Wallen likes this.