STEPHEN KING's "Rose Red"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatS, Dec 26, 2001.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

previews over the holiday weekend looked pretty interesting, and since it is a King project it gets at least a look from myself...
    "STEPHEN KING'S ROSE RED" WILL HAUNT ABC ON JANUARY 27, 28 AND 31
    "Stephen King's Rose Red," a three-part, six-hour miniseries created directly for television by best-selling author and unparalleled master of horror Stephen King, will air as an ABC Premiere Event on SUNDAY, JANUARY 27, MONDAY, JANUARY 28 and THURSDAY, JANUARY 31 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET, each night), on the ABC Television Network.
    "Stephen King's Rose Red" is the chilling tale of Dr. Joyce Reardon (Nancy Travis), an obsessed psychology professor who commissions a team of psychics and a gifted 15-year-old autistic girl, Annie Wheaton (Kimberly J. Brown), to literally wake up a supposedly dormant haunted mansion -- Rose Red, built in 1907 by Seattle oil magnate John P. Rimbauer. Their efforts unleash myriad spirits and uncover horrifying secrets of the generations who have lived and died there.
    The ensemble cast includes Nancy Travis, Matt Keeslar, Kimberly J. Brown, David Dukes, Melanie Lynsky, Matt Ross, Julian Sands, Kevin Tighe, Julia Campbell, Emily Deschanel, Laura Kenny, Tsidii LeLoka and Yvonne Scio.
    Mr. King and Emmy Award-winner Mark Carliner ("Stalin," "George Wallace") are executive producers. Thomas Brodek is producer and Craig Baxley is director. The teleplay was written by Stephen King.
    "Stephen King's Rose Red" was produced for ABC by Greengrass Productions, Inc., in association with Victor Television Productions, Inc., and Mark Carliner Productions.
    A TV parental guideline will be posted closer to airdate.
    -- ABC Media Relations
    http://www.stephenking.com/rose_red_press_release.html
    http://www.beaumontuniversity.net/programs2.html

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Sounds good to me. I really enoyed "Storm of the century".
    I was also wondering last week what Nancy Travis was up to these days, haven't seen much from her recently. Now I know. [​IMG]
    /Mike

3. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

What did everyone think?

I'm a biased Stephen King fan and I thought it was pretty good even for a show that was basically a set-up for the final 4 hours. The first two hours went by really fast and was pretty intense for a show that didn't have a lot of action. Great sound and stunning visuals of the mansion. Some of King's works get brutalized in Mini-Series format. "The Stand" was decent but I didn't really care for "Storm of The Century" and "The Langoliers" was downright horible. I look forward to the last four hours.

Sadly, David Dukes, (Professor Miller) passed away near the end of the filming.

4. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I thought it was ok. A few creepy moments like when

the fat psychic guy was having the visions and when the African woman answered the door

but I thought it moved kind of slow. Hopefully it will pick up. I'll watch the whole thing, though, I'm a sucker for Stephen King stuff.

5. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I thought it was okay, for the setup episode. So far it hasn't done much to distance itself from the various elements it is an homage to ("The Shining", "The Haunting of Hill House", and "The House on Haunted Hill"). Also, these things always give me flashbacks to the early multimedia computer games ("Phantasmagoria" and "The 7th Guest"). Tonight will be the make or break episode to see how much new material is left in this genre. I am hopeful that they will pull something original off. The hard part will be waiting for Thursday for the final part if it actually takes off tonight.

Kenneth

6. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I too am a sucker for anything Stephen King does. I thought the stand was pretty good. I also really enjoyed Storm of the Century.

Was Rose Red written for TV or was it a short story? Anyway, I thought it was pretty good and a bit creepy. What did happen to the reporter kid? Did the house eat him up? I think there is something more to the Nancy Travis character than we know right now. I always like some of the element of humor that he puts into his stories. Like the guy whose mother treats him like a baby. That was a funny scene when she kissed him goodbye.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    What involvement does Stephen King has to do with this story, from what I've heard, he didn't write it, he just did the TV miniseries yet all I hear is "Stephen King's rose red" all over the tube. Who's the author?

Jay

8. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Good points, Kenneth; I also found it somewhat derivative of "Hell House", and other King works, in particular the bee sequence which is almost a recurring theme at this point (see "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon", "The Shining", "Misery", etc.)

The pacing of "Storm of the Century" felt a bit stretched out, and that seems to be a problem with this one too. Still, I am trying to watch this with the feel of how it would read, rather than the fast-paced TV style that we have all grown accustomed to. I'll be back to watch part 2.

(by the way, Stephen King DID write the teleplay for this!)

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Damn, I missed it! I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

/Mike

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

It was a hoot for me, living in the Seattle area, to see where they "placed" Rose Red! [​IMG] Must be next door to 'Frasier Crane's' condo! At least they actually came up here instead of trying to make Vancouver BC look like the area instead (STAKEOUT comes to mind).

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I sure hope the final night is good since so far it has been just a reprint of several other movies...... If King wrote this while recouping from his accident, he must have been partially sedated since it certainly has not been original work so far...... Personally, I have been very disappointed and the movie seems to drag on and on....

To have been so long, it would seem that each person who was eventually assembled was given a little more detail....

But we've been bombarded by a mutha-lovin' pizza grabbin' cynical misfit and a little girl who obviously was coached by Drew Barrymore and Firestarter....

Even with all this said, I am a die hard King Fan but really expected more from him..... The only good thing about it to me has been the need to dig out some of the plagurized movies from my dvd collection and enjoy a real thrill ride.

12. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I think the movie is still having problems figuring out what it wants to be. I agree that for having so many characters they are only fleshing out a couple. You really need to make the character with more depth so that people will be moved when they cash in the chips. Also, they seem to be going out of their way to get characters it is not obvious what their tie in is.

Finally, I think they are suffering from "The New Haunting Syndrome". Although they are doing a better job of the new version of "The Haunting" they seem to spend more time on looking at the house rather than building actual terror. I will definitely watch the final part but I haven't seen this one break out of the pack yet.

Kenneth

13. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

I would think it much easier for the HTF administrators to add the word "spoiler" to the post title rather than editing the post itself. This would allow for the original post to exist in its entirety. Incidentally, this would also add value to the HTF as more posts would exist instead of a percentage of them being "blacked out."

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

ABC is broadcasting it in HD and DD

Very happy about that since I just got my HD antenna up

1st thing on tv that looks and sounds as good as a DVD

CAught the 1st night on regular tv since we were out of town

2nd night on HD...wow night & day!

15. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I have HD as well, but couldn't drag myself downstairs to watch it; may have to catch Thursday night's in HD just to justify watching 2 more hours of this show.

16. Joseph Howard

Joseph Howard Stunt Coordinator

I think, so far, it as been a bit aimless. Where is it

going? Does it have a point?

The two hours last night (Mon) seemed like filler to

get to the last 2 hours. Nothing happened to push the

story forward. We already knew it was a strange house

with spooky things happening. Get to it already.

They only push the story forward with the flash backs.

It seems to me that the network execs said, "can we

s t r e c h it to three nights?"

Hope it gets better 2nite.

17. John Rockwell

John Rockwell Auditioning

I read an article saying that this is a script that King wrote years ago for Speilberg, when they were discussing making "The Ultimate Haunted House Movie", but that King didn't think that a two hour film would do the script justice, so the idea was eventually dropped. He just did some rewriting of the original script for the mini-series. I don't think much of this so far though, Nancy Travis has always annoyed me. Julian Sands and Melanie Lynsky are great though, I've always liked Julian, even the Warlock films. Overall, I think this is too derivitive of other haunted house films, nothing too original. I'll finish watching, but I'm unimpressed.

18. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

The series definitely exemplifies the old platitude, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Since they won't commit to a single direction the story seems to amble aimlessly. There are just too many possible plots at play:

House built on bad ground with a mind of its own ("The Shining" basically but not done as well yet). The subplot with Annie ties into this motif also.

Ancient evil becoming clear through flashbacks and back story ("IT"). This is one of the elements suffering the worst. I think there is a good potential back story with the original occupants but they aren't developing it enough. Maybe we will see more in episode 3.

Malevalent spirits out to get revenge ("The House on Haunted Hill"). We get a taste of the technique but none of the motive yet since the victims seem too random. Again, perhaps the last episode will make this clear.

Creepy/ornate house with a tragic history ("The Haunting of Hill House"). Heck, they even call this out specifically in the first episode by referring to the Shirley Jackson novel. Still too much stretching going on and they aren't developing the plot line very effectively.

We'll see on Thursday where they take the story to wrap it up.

Kenneth

19. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Well, it took forever for me to come to grips with the fact that "Rose Red" was not the same as his novel "Rose Madder." I remember watching the preview for it and thinking "What does this have to do with the book?" The answer...nothing, because it isn't the same thing! Boy did I feel silly when I realized that.

20. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

There have been a few really good Stephen King books. The Stand, the Shining & Salem's Lot are the best in my opinion. There have been a few good movies based on Stephen King books. Shawshank & The Green Mile were probably the best two. There seems to be a big problem translating what is scary in the books to what is scary on a screen (movie or TV). So far, watching the first two night of Rose Red, I'm pretty disappointed in it. If I was launching an expedition into a haunted house & paying each person 5 or 10,000 dollars, I think they would be doing more than lugging equipment around. Most of the characters seem to be there for the purpose of being victims than anything else. The character of Emery is so purposefully annoying that he is more of a caricature than anything else.

I'm also growing tired of the distracting Stephen King cameos. I had my hopes up for this one since I just read Dreamcatcher & quite liked it. Maybe part three will be absolutely terrific...but somehow I doubt it.