What's new

It (2017) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I loved the "It" novel (I read it for the first time maybe five years ago) - I found the book riveting and terrifying. Any interest I had in seeing a new movie version evaporated when it was revealed that the book was being split into two. For me, one of the best parts of the book was how it paralleled the story of the kids with their adult versions, weaving between two time periods in expert fashion. I didn't think I'd have any interest in the story with those elements removed.

However, I have to say, Travis' comments are giving me second thoughts. If I end up waiting til video, I don't think I'd be crushed, but I'm interested in seeing it for the first time now. My "Moviepass" card should be getting here any day; maybe this is the perfect movie to try it out on. My only concern with seeing a horror movie in theaters is audience behavior. I'm not a big horror movie fan, but of the limited experiences I have seeing horror films in theater, the audience never, ever behaves. At every current horror movie I've been to in theaters, the audiences talks and laughs throughout, maybe jumps and screams once or twice, and then goes back to talking and laughing. It's really not a pleasant way to watch a movie -- "28 Days Later" does not need a laugh track! Travis, I know you're more of a horror guy, is that your experience too with seeing horror films theatrically?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved the "It" novel (I read it for the first time maybe five years ago) - I found the book riveting and terrifying. Any interest I had in seeing a new movie version evaporated when it was revealed that the book was being split into two. For me, one of the best parts of the book was how it paralleled the story of the kids with their adult versions, weaving between two time periods in expert fashion. I didn't think I'd have any interest in the story with those elements removed.
I read the book maybe 4 years ago but none of it was coming back to me as I watched it so I can't compare the two.

However, I have to say, Travis' comments are giving me second thoughts. If I end up waiting til video, I don't think I'd be crushed, but I'm interested in seeing it for the first time now. My "Moviepass" card should be getting here any day; maybe this is the perfect movie to try it out on. My only concern with seeing a horror movie in theaters is audience behavior. I'm not a big horror movie fan, but of the limited experiences I have seeing horror films in theater, the audience never, ever behaves. At every current horror movie I've been to in theaters, the audiences talks and laughs throughout, maybe jumps and screams once or twice, and then goes back to talking and laughing. It's really not a pleasant way to watch a movie -- "28 Days Later" does not need a laugh track! Travis, I know you're more of a horror guy, is that your experience too with seeing horror films theatrically?
I have to say that generally I do pretty well with crowds at my theater and even with the relatively huge number of people seeing It, there was no one obnoxious that caught my attention. The crowd seemed caught up in the movie and was more interested it than holding a conversation. However, if the crowds you usually get at your theater act like idiots, I doubt anything will change.

The one recent horror movie I saw where I noticed too much talking was Get Out. However, during alot of that movie, I had to stifle my laughter because no one else was laughing at what I perceived as the more sly and incisive jokes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Actually, I had a good crowd for Get Out -wasn't thinking of that as "horror" when I was writing but you're totally right that it is. Maybe I'll just go back to that theater and hope for the best!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There are legitimately funny parts in this movie, so there hopefully will be some laughing at your screening.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Very fun flick and very well cast. More of a coming of age thriller than an outright horror movie flick. Stumbles a bit with the climax and the setup to get there but a minor quibble.

As for audience behaviour, the crowd I was with loved it and was totally into IT. Especially the humour.

Now on track to break $100 Million. Wow!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
$51 million Friday (including the $13.5 million from Thursday). On track to break $100 million.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Never thought I'd see the day a Stephen King based film opened to $100M, especially after the recent lukewarm response to The Dark Tower. I figured the peak of his relevance and popularity had passed.

We'll also probably see an uptick in SK adaptations and remakes. Although given the aforementioned performance of TDT, perhaps IT is simply a special case.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Never thought I'd see the day a Stephen King based film opened to $100M, especially after the recent lukewarm response to The Dark Tower. I figured the peak of his relevance and popularity had passed.

We'll also probably see an uptick in SK adaptations and remakes. Although given the aforementioned performance of TDT, perhaps IT is simply a special case.
I haven't seen the movie so this is based on reviews and comments here: the special case is that it's a good Stephen King movie, no so much with TDT. Make a good Stephen King movie and they will come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks