Stephen King "Horror" 5-pack -Filmed in WS or Pan&Scan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob FM, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Hi gang, just got the Stephen King "Horror" DVD set from Wal-Mart.
    Nowhere on the outside packaging does it state what the format the DVDs are in. (5.1 vs 2.0) or (PS vs WS)
    After opening the set, each DVD states on the back:
    Fullscreen Version.
    Now, that's fine with me *if* that's the way they were originally filmed.
    I'll list the 5 movies:
    The Langoliers Fullscreen, 2.0 Stereo
    The Stand Fullscreen, 2.0 Dolby Surround
    Golden Years Fullscreen, 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio
    Thinner 1.85 Original Theatrical Presentation // THX Certification on both Audio and Video // AC-3 for Dolby Digital Sound
    Cujo Fullscreen Mono Audio
    Is everything as it was filmed? It doesn't appear to be... I'm sure some 'King' fan can set me straight.
    Some searching turned up this post about "IT" ...and it's confusing as to whether it should be WS or P&S: Link
    So, did I get an inferior product?
    Are there better versions of each movie out there somewhere that I'll have to 'Piece' together to make this set?
    Thanks,
    ~Rob

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hey,
    Langoliers, Stand and Golden Years were filmed for TV and 4:3 is the correct aspect ratio.
    Cujo is the only one in that list that is not OAR. Unfortunately I don't know of a single edition of Cujo anywhere in the world that is widescreen. That's why I still don't have this damn fine film on DVD. [​IMG]
    Chris

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Indeed, also what they do is take an OAR format (2:35:1 for instance) and then they Pan & Scan it, they don't "film in P&S" so to speak......unless you count Super 35.[​IMG]

4. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Whew, I feel better now!

Well, 4 out of 5 movies will get me started....I only have to find a WS Cujo (which seems is an impossibility!)

Thanks for the quick accurate responses guys!

~Rob

5. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

The Langoliers & The Stand were made for TV which means that the OAR for these two movies are 1.33:1

Cujo was filmed in an OAR of 1.85:1. The DVD version of Cujo is only Pan & Scan.

BTW: I own the 3 movies that I just mentioned.

6. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

The only change I would make to the above is that Cujo is actually "open-matte," which means that if you have a widescreen TV you can "zoom" the image for the correct aspect ratio (although at that point quality suffers a good bit). If you don't have a widescreen TV, you can physically matte the image yourself... a lot of folks do that (do a search on this forum or others like it for directions).

Point is, this is not a "pan-and-scan" release because there is no information missing... but I like others would still love an anamorphic widescreen release of this great movie.

7. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

I want to buy this box set. I hope it's worth it!