What's new

Stephen King goes to the movies... (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Whew! Just got through reading this entire thread. Some really great observations and insights. I even watched several of the videos suggested.

Like many of you, I have been a fan of Mr. King since I was a kid. "Pet Semetary" was the first novel I ever read. I went on to read a lot of the rest of his works. But have not read anything from him in the last 15+ years. My personal favourite is a bit of an outlier. "The Talisman" written with Peter Straub, is an excellent adventure. Filled with such neat characters and a great concept. I am really surprised that this has not made it to film yet.

Of King's films, I am a big fan of the usual suspects like "The Shining", "Shawshank Redemption", "Stand by me", "Green Mile" and many others. It is a strange dichotomy in that his films swing wildly from being masterpieces to utter garbage (I'm looking at you "Sleepwalkers!")

One final note, Reggie W...stop starting sentences with the word "so"! (Haha...just bugging ya.)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
One final note, Reggie W...stop starting sentences with the word "so"! (Haha...just bugging ya.)

Ha, I think I write that a lot because I say that a lot.

It's funny, I started this thread about King because his body of work is just huge and it seems I have kept up with it over the years despite the fact that I feel like I am not able to follow anything for an extended period of time. However, that turns out to be a lie I tell about myself because I have followed Mr. King since the 1970s.

I don't consider myself a huge fan of his (because I stopped reading his novels long ago) but I really like the guy. It seems when projects come up I am always attracted to see them. Summer is the season I am most attracted to his work. I think because I have spent so much time in Maine in the summer that these stories set in Maine fascinate me.

I don't think he set out to create a "universe" as this is a more recent sort of thing. I think he was writing stories and giving them settings he knew and related to. However, all these years and stories later they all seem connected because they share things. Now we have a "universe" and really with regards to the "movie universes" that are out there it is the most interesting and complex.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Whew! Just got through reading this entire thread. Some really great observations and insights. I even watched several of the videos suggested.

Like many of you, I have been a fan of Mr. King since I was a kid. "Pet Semetary" was the first novel I ever read. I went on to read a lot of the rest of his works. But have not read anything from him in the last 15+ years. My personal favourite is a bit of an outlier. "The Talisman" written with Peter Straub, is an excellent adventure. Filled with such neat characters and a great concept. I am really surprised that this has not made it to film yet.

Of King's films, I am a big fan of the usual suspects like "The Shining", "Shawshank Redemption", "Stand by me", "Green Mile" and many others. It is a strange dichotomy in that his films swing wildly from being masterpieces to utter garbage (I'm looking at you "Sleepwalkers!")

You deserve 10 likes per like just for reading the entire thread

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I did it, in one sitting and found the director's cut to be excellent. Very well done and I think the definitive version of the film. Nice the Warner let Mr. Flanagan complete both versions of the picture. I'd count this as one of the good films adapted from a King novel.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Well, I did it, in one sitting and found the director's cut to be excellent. Very well done and I think the definitive version of the film. Nice the Warner let Mr. Flanagan complete both versions of the picture. I'd count this as one of the good films adapted from a King novel.

I've read and enjoyed the novel, but not yet seen the film. Do you recommend a version to watch first?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was disappointed by the novel. I liked the film a little better, but found it suffered from the same inherent flaw as the source material. That said, I liked being able to catch up with Danny Torrance, but just found the plot surrounding him lacked suspense or a real sense of risk.

As with the novel, it seemed like Rose the Hat was ultimately more canon fodder given the odds she was fighting against.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've read and enjoyed the novel, but not yet seen the film. Do you recommend a version to watch first?

Well, I have not read the novel but as I understand things the film attempts to be both a representation of the novel and a sequel to Kubrick's version of The Shining. In doing so it may disappoint fans of the novel in some ways but I think the film needed to take Kubrick's work deeply into consideration...and it certainly does as we do return to the visuals of Kubrick's picture in a big way.

My feeling is the director's cut is a very well made film that feels like a literary adaptation. I think it is the more satisfying version of the film. So, I think if you are going to spend time with this picture I would watch the director's cut...which by the way is a real director's cut as it is the version Mr. Flanagan prefers and when he was finishing the film he asked Warner to let him complete his cut and they did.

It is a long film in either version but to me I felt like the director's cut actually felt shorter and I enjoyed the ride.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, I recently picked up the blu-ray of The Stand and under these circumstances, it seems an interesting choice to watch right now. This and the second half of It (I skipped it in theaters) will be the next two King features I'll be watching in the home theater.

Stand.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So, I recently picked up the blu-ray of The Stand and under these circumstances, it seems an interesting choice to watch right now. This and the second half of It (I skipped it in theaters) will be the next two King features I'll be watching in the home theater.

View attachment 70066
Let us know how you like the “Brilliantly Restored” Stand. Both content and transfer wise. You know, for a big faces cover it’s very good. ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Let us know how you like the “Brilliantly Restored” Stand. Both content and transfer wise. You know, for a big faces cover it’s very good. ;)

I do think that is nice artwork on the cover. I picked this up because the price on it took a big drop. It is on sale now at Amazon for $16.99 but they sold out of their stock so they have a prediction of it being back in stock in late March.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

View attachment 70066
Where did you buy yours? The one on Amazon is apparently German and region locked.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

OK, that's weird so I just looked a few minutes ago and it was there on sale for $16.99 but coming back in stock on March 31 and now the listing shows it is no longer for sale by Amazon only third party sellers starting at $31.10 plus shipping and tax.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OK, that's weird so I just looked a few minutes ago and it was there on sale for $16.99 but coming back in stock on March 31 and now the listing shows it is no longer for sale by Amazon only third party sellers starting at $31.10 plus shipping and tax.
Le crap!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks