Stephen King goes to the movies...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WillG

WillG Producer

Secret Window was "meh" for me. Twist was visible from a mile away and it didn't help that it came out after a much more memorable film that used the same twist......
    Fight Club

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    Did you see The Dark Half, Will?

3. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    Has anybody seen A Good Marriage? On the poster for this film Mr. King gets top billing as his name is even bigger than the title of the film...which is sort of odd. I honestly was not even aware this picture existed until just recently.

If you could give SPOILER FREE thoughts on it if you have seen it that would be great.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

Did not, but know of it being a similar premise. But still, apparently not as memorable as the film I mentioned.

5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin

6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin

7. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Loved Sleepwalkers.

8. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    As comedy or horror?

9. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Both

10. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    I think the thing about King is although he is known as a "horror" writer he actually loads his stories up with comedy. A lot of his dialogue is truly horrible in the sense that it seems meant to be funny but is basically just really ridiculous. He typically is a pretty terrible writer of dialogue which in general comes across big time in films adapted from his work...particularly if he is allowed script writing duties.

11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Deja Vu.

In Your Opinion that is.

12. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    Yes, if my name is on the post and I am discussing if I feel something is good or bad that is obviously my opinion...I don't have to write "in my opinion" every single time.

I had a writing instructor once that hated King to the extent that he would go on a tear about him every time he came up. He used to say "The guy has diarrhea of the fingers! He just never knows what to edit and when."

I will say that The Shining was the first film that taught me about how turning a story into a film could actually improve it. The Shining was the first King novel I read and the damn thing seemed to go on and on and on and on. When I discovered Kubrick was making it into a film I wondered how many things in the story would play and how he would handle them. Well, the answer was pretty simple, Kubrick cut them out or reworked them completely making the story much creepier and much more effective as horror...IN MY OPINION.

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    :D

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

King definitely has a tendency to run on and on but I don't usually mind that because his stories keep moving and they're easy reads.

I think Torrance being apeshit crazy nearly from the jump in the movie is nowhere near as effective as his slide into madness in the novel. I realize that Kubrick had to operate with 2-ish hours rather than King having as many pages as his heart desired but I think Jack immediately being nuts doesn't work as well.

Doug Wallen and Tino like this.
  15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think I'm going to have the same question about the upcoming "IT". I saw a trailer this weekend that made me burst out laughing. I'm not sure that's the reaction the producers really want.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Was that the one that was basically a scene from the movie where the kid is talking to Pennywise in the sewer? If so, I didn't laugh outloud but I wanted to.

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It was where the two brothers are in what looks like a flooded basement (or maybe it's the sewer), then Pennywise's head pokes up out of the water and he suddenly does this wacky/spastic run toward them.

I was like, "WTF is that?" as I laughed. Is PW having a seizure? :laugh:

TravisR likes this.
  18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

OK, that's different from the one I saw. I'm sick of CG limb or body 'twisting' in horror movies.

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    I don't really think Nicholson plays him crazy from the jump. I think that Jack was directed by Kubrick to give a very animated performance and if you watch the film Nicholson does ramp the whole thing up giving sort of unusual line readings most of the time. However, I think Kubrick wanted this strangeness in the picture and it is meant to play off of what Duvall is doing as she plays things more down to earth and straight.

For a long time I really was not crazy about Duvall in the picture and wished Kubrick had cast somebody else to play the part but really she anchors the whole thing. So, over time I really have grown to appreciate what she does. Nicholson goes way out over the top practically foaming at the mouth...which is fun...but without Duvall there to pull things back down to earth a lot of the horror would not come through.

My love of the film over the novel is the film dropped all the things that I thought would come across as ridiculous. The topiary animals becoming a maze I thought was a brilliant switch. Plus the film just tightens up the whole endeavor and puts the main focus on how Nicholson's character comes to want to butcher his family. Yes, he appears odd and possibly dangerous from the start but I believe the idea there is you build suspense, Hitchcock style (knowing the bomb is there about to explode), as the audience realizes being locked up in an isolated hotel with this guy is probably not a good idea. So, you know the bomb is ticking away...

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I completely understand why King hates the Kubrick film. I don't at all agree with that assessment, but Kubrick definitely took a novel that had been about one thing, and used the details from that work to a make a movie about something that was very different. And since The Shining was very personal to King because of what it was about for him, I understand his frustration.

One thing to keep in mind, maybe, about Shelly Duvall's performance is that she delivers exactly what Kubrick wanted. As I'm sure many people know, Kubrick essentially "method" directed her, berating her and isolating her and leaving her to work endless days and nights on the set where, once "cut" was called, the atmosphere on the set wasn't that much different from the fictional atmosphere in the story. And I think if Kubrick had cast a different actress, he would have tried to coax a very similar performance out of her. I don't think there exists the possibility of a Kubrick version of the Shining where the female lead isn't some degree of what Duvall was.

Interestingly, The Shining is the only Kubrick film to have two different cuts available and in print, both of which are director approved. The version that's available in the U.S. and most of the world runs about 140 minutes. (The film originally opened slightly longer, but Kubrick deleted a coda at the end after the film's opening weekend.) That's the version on Blu-ray here in the US, the one we all know. But, for whatever reason, he made a version exclusively for the UK audience that runs about 20 minutes shorter. To this day, if you buy The Shining in the UK, you get the shorter version. The studio didn't force him to make the cuts, and he could have made the shorter version his preferred version across the board - but for whatever reason, they're both allowed to exist side-by-side. I think it's fascinating and I'm happy to own both versions.