What's new

Stephen Hawkins says he was wrong about black holes (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

*sigh* That's my problem with Stephen. He simplifies things entirely too much for the sake of the masses *indignant scoff*

;)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
:rolleyes:Steven Hawking obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Everyone knows a Black Hole is simply an extremely dense mass of Silica.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It's quite simple really. It's a set of instructions to Prof Hawking's gardener. He's having a Euclidian path built (presumably some sort of fancy brickwork) and the rest is instructions that it's okay to tread on the trivial metrics (a sort of daisy) but to be careful with the non-trivial metrics. I think the rest of it is just a case of not being able to read his writing.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I work as a Supervisor in a production facility, and I sent one of the above articles to my fellow Supervisors and I told them that while we have many challenges to face during the day, we don't have anything on this guy.

Exactly.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
andrew
You hit it on the nose!

I think that means his doggie pooped on the path

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I've always wondered if it is because of Stephen Hawkins' affliction that he is brilliant or whether he would have been able to do even more had he not been. Either or, there's now hope to find my missing socks in the washer.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Oh now come on. Who didn't know that?!

I mean, I built a Euclidean path in my back yard YEARS ago! Sheesh!

Ike

Screenwriter

He did not always have his condition (ALS). In a Brief History of Time, he referenced a choice of not pursuing his career (I'm blanking on the exact title he was going for) since the doctor's told him he would be dead before he completed.

But you may have something. In the same book, he states that he thinks about his theories a lot when trying to go to sleep, since with his condition it takes a long time.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

:laugh:

Before actually. I accidentally booted myself in the gonads one day on that VERY SAME path, while I was leaning over to prune the Lorentzians I'd just planted. :)

...must have been a gravity well or something...

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

I'm afraid I have to disagree with that. He was going along the right path with his first theory. He's clearly not thinking clearly in his old age. Being on the Simpsons and Conan has gone to his head.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I thought the ideas themself were pretty cool, one the journalists boiled them down enough to understand them. I never liked the idea that a black hole simply swallowed stuff and it never came out. I like to hear that stuff can get back out, although in "mangled bits" :D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Just wait till he wraps up that promotional deal with the Power Scooter Store
("You don't have to be a renowned Cambridge University physicist to know a good deal when you see it on POWER CHAIRS!")

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, sure....whatever you say, Stevo.

I think I will try to memorize this passage to impress my GF. :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I dunno Danny. If you don't get it quite right, and start talking about asymptotical independant paths leading to black holes, you might get slapped.

:)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
:D hahaha Tony

I thinking kicking myself in the crotch is easier than trying to memorize what(ever) Steve said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks