What's new

Step By Step Sub Equalization using BFD and ETF (1 Viewer)

I am in the process of finishing a Stryke 5.2. I currently have 2 - 10 AVI sub's in the HT room but they have an F3 at 42 Hz and I want to go lower...therefore the Stryke.

Even with 2 subs, my in room response has a huge peak at 50Hz similar to Jon M.

For those of you who have equalized out their sub's in room response with a parametric equalizer I have a few questions.

How many EQ bands did you use?

Where the 12 bands per channel on the BFD enough or did you have to run the 2 channels in series to use 24 bands.

I would be real interested in seeing the EQ that Jon M (or others) applied (centre freq, BW and gain) to flatten out the in room response.

Thanks

Doug

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I would be real interested in seeing the EQ that Jon M (or others) applied (centre freq, BW and gain) to flatten out the in room response.
Here's a plot of the actual EQ applied to the AS-15 box, that's a ported HE-15. Only 3 bands of EQ were needed.
Link Removed

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Pete,

"This may be a problem when running long cables into another room. I was getting exaggerated distances, and I think it's because of the length of cable. "

It won't. You would need thousands of feet of cable (or more) to make much of a timing difference.

Were you inputting the signal into a straight dedicated pre-amp or into a surround sound receiver/processor? If it was any sort of surround sound equipment the inherent delay in going through the A/D, DSP, D/A is probably all you were measuring. Could have been the delay introduced by the BFG itself too.

Shawn

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I had the output going into my B&K 307. Some sttings were taken with it set to analog bypass, others weren't. I don't remember which was which, tho. I'm going to just wait until the mic/preamp arrives and start playing again. I don't have an EQ, and, hopefully won't have to use one. I have a single notch filter in the B&K that I've been using to tame the worst peak, and so far it's been enough.

I got different FR graphs from using ETF than from doing it with sine waves and SPL meter. I assume the sine waves are exciting the room more than the MLS tone from ETF, but not sure.

Pete

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Pete please let us know how the mic and preamp from ETF works vs the Radio Shack unit. I was also thinking of buying the mic and preamp from ETF.

I used the Radio Shack unit with a test tone generator and compared that to the Radio Shack unit and my laptop with ETF demo software and I seemed to get differences too. My Radio Shack unit with test tone generator indicated that my sub frequancy response curve was flat (using Behringer 1100p with filters) but when I checked it with my laptop and Radio Shack meter the frequency curve did not appear flat???

Regards

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
FrankD,
I bought ETF yesterday, so I am still much in the learning curve on it.
If the info I've gleaned thus far is correct, you won't get accurate results with just any test tone cd. I believe ETF requires MLS tones for accurate results. So I think this rules out using the Stryke, Autosounds 2000, and homebrew test CDs.
You can d/l MLS test tones here.
Then use the Test CD option under Measurement when you take a new measurement. At least, that's how I think it works. ;)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
The mic and pre-amp came in today:). Looks like this weekend, if time permits(NFLplayoffs), I'll do some tests. I hope it works as well as it looks.
Looks like True Audio will soon offer a RTA software package, as well. It will also function as an oscilloscope, signal generator and multi-meter. It will be offered at different price points for whatever functionality you want!
http://www.trueaudio.com/truerta.htm
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks