What's new

Steiner Mark Twain score: A dilemna. (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Not even one opinion? What do you do when you see a title under more than one format like this? How do you make the determination? As best I can figure, they're both new discs, mastered well, etc. etc.

Tough choice!

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
They are the same content. Get the hybrid SA-CD. It will play in any CD player and of course an SA-CD player. Keep in mind though that Naxos records in PCM and not DSD.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Question: I notice on these new Star Wars Trilogy CD's, I see DSD labels all over the place. Yet they aren't SACD's. What does this mean?

I know what DSD is: "Newly upgraded via Direct Stream Digital remastering that adds stunning new presence and clarity to Williams' rousing, epochal scores."

I thought DSD was something I was only going to see on SACD's and such. I guess not.

I guess that leads to yet another question: I wonder IF they will put these Star Wars scores on a high-rez format, like SACD. They did it for Williams's ET score, so these would be no-brainers.

They're already well on their way with this kind of remastering anyways.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
In the case of the Star Wars albums, DSD means nothing. They took a digital PCM master and just ran it through a DSD machine. For it to make any difference, the original analog masters would have to encoded into DSD and the re-edited and re-assembled.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
D'oh!

Well, here's hoping they do it! Talk about some easy candidates for a high-rez bump, the Star Wars scores have to be it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks