Steiner Mark Twain score: A dilemna.

Discussion in 'Music' started by EricRWem, Dec 16, 2004.

1. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
  2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Not even one opinion? What do you do when you see a title under more than one format like this? How do you make the determination? As best I can figure, they're both new discs, mastered well, etc. etc.

Tough choice!

3. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

They are the same content. Get the hybrid SA-CD. It will play in any CD player and of course an SA-CD player. Keep in mind though that Naxos records in PCM and not DSD.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Question: I notice on these new Star Wars Trilogy CD's, I see DSD labels all over the place. Yet they aren't SACD's. What does this mean?

I know what DSD is: "Newly upgraded via Direct Stream Digital remastering that adds stunning new presence and clarity to Williams' rousing, epochal scores."

I thought DSD was something I was only going to see on SACD's and such. I guess not.

I guess that leads to yet another question: I wonder IF they will put these Star Wars scores on a high-rez format, like SACD. They did it for Williams's ET score, so these would be no-brainers.

They're already well on their way with this kind of remastering anyways.

5. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

In the case of the Star Wars albums, DSD means nothing. They took a digital PCM master and just ran it through a DSD machine. For it to make any difference, the original analog masters would have to encoded into DSD and the re-edited and re-assembled.

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    D'oh!

Well, here's hoping they do it! Talk about some easy candidates for a high-rez bump, the Star Wars scores have to be it! [​IMG]