What's new

Steely Dan: Gaucho, Johnny Cash, and more coming to SACD.... (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Check out the new releases from Universal

Link Removed

Steely Dan Gaucho is listed as a multichannel Hybrid.

Also of note from Johnny Cash are American Recordings, Unchained, Solitary Man , and The Man Comes Around . These four discs are listed as stereo Hybrids.

The Wallflowers Red Letter Days and 3 Doors Down Away From the Sun are also listed as coming releases. These discs were previously announced, though the Universal website does not list in what flavor these discs will be released.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
One little comment:

Where's all the low cost sacd players that Regular Joe Schmoe can buy for these releases?

LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Where's all the low cost sacd players that Regular Joe Schmoe can buy for these releases?
Very good point Lance. The cheap universal players from Pioneer and Zenith will not be out till around June or July, and Sony has yet to announce any new SACD players for this coming year. There are some very nice titles coming to SACD (DSOTM, Police, Gabriel, etc.) but not really anything to play them. Sony is shooting themselves in the foot. Since most sales take place during the first couple of weeks after release, sales on single layer discs or Hybrids which do not replace the redbook editions will probably be quite small and could discourage artists for the future.

Still, I am looking forward to picking many of these new releases. The situation is much better then Warner, who is just putting out their first DVD-A next week almost 2 whole months into the year (Emmylou Harris: Producer's Cut, which my copy has just shipped by the way). SACD is giving me titles I want, which I unfotunately cannot say about DVD-A up to this point this year.

J

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Right in front of your face if you're looking. :)

Sony's DVP-NS755V is $249 at Crutchfield, less at other outlets. I don't know what more you can ask for.

NP: Bruce Cockburn: "In The Falling Dark" Deluxe Edition

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Justin: I was at Best Buy on Saturday and they said they would be getting "Producer's Cut" on Tuesday.

ONE whole copy!

I'm glad they have such confidence in this title!

I had two cups of strong-ass Starbucks coffee before writing this post--sory it's so long! :)

Another thing: They have recently begun carrying many more DTS Entertainment titles. Lots of "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues (I saw four copies of this alone), Sting, and Midnight Oil's "Capricornia" (sp?) for example.

Lots of Disturbed discs sitting there though. "Autmomatic For The People" discs seem to stagnate on the shelf too.

"Hotel California" and "Rumours" discs arrive, and disappear quick.

And those dang Silverline "Directions" or whatever discs are still clogging up the shelves!!

"Opaline" (from Dishwalla) dvd-audios don't seem to be stocked anymore? I had this disc: it was very well done (disc authoring, packaging, and the Dolby Digital track sounded excellent) but I gave it away. 90% of the reason was because of the music: too somber and slow (I have their first album "Pet Your Friends" which I like a lot. Kind of moody too but music is fast-paced & powerful). The other 10%? The 5.1 track was just that ambience stuff Silverline keeps putting out. Sounds like a plain old DSP processor "hall" effect--booooring.

Tomorrow I will fight the dvd-audio crowds :D and try to snag that Emmylou Harris disc and The Nightfly disc too (weird musical combo, eh?). I bought The Nightfly when it first came out (vinyl!) and had it on CD (but it got scratched up so bad over a 10 year period it skipped on 2 tracks & I finally threw it out a couple weeks ago). I really don't like Steely Dan very much, but this solo Fagen record is fun to listen to. Steely Dan is too slick-sounding for my tastes (& no it's not because their stuff is appearing on sacd!!!). I also gave away that "Two Against Nature" dvd-a for this reason; after my first excitement over it excellent sonics and 5.1 mixing, it eventually was just sitting in my rack literally getting dusty.

Also had the first "Studio Voodoo" dvd-audio: sounded great, but music too rave-like and plastic sounding. Gave it to DJ that worked at Radio Shack part-time.

So, no more buying titles just for the format itself!

LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Tomorrow I will fight the dvd-audio crowds and try to snag that Emmylou Harris disc and The Nightfly disc too (weird musical combo, eh?).
Good luck in beating the rush;). You might find difficulty in obtaining a copy of Nightfly. It seems most Best Buy stores only got a couple copies of this disc. I found a grand total of one Zappa Halloween disc in Best Buy I frequent, though I am glad I picked this disc up. The same goes for the SACD discs. Best Buy might get 1 to 3 copies of certain new SACD titles and then thats it. You can see the lack of SACD movement with the majority of discs from Sony either having the cardboard sleeves which Sony has abandoned for awhile, or stereo discs still available which have since been releases in multichannel.

Buying music titles locally is tough for a Hi-res fan. Online is really the only option at this point for selection and conveinience.

J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I will buy Gaucho on day one. I've been waiting for that SACD for awhile. Of course, I would have preferred Aja on SACD, but beggars can't be choosers.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Where is a good, comprehensive source of SACD releases (already out & upcoming releases)? I'm especially interested in a good list of hybrids, since packaging and in-store shelving doesn't always make an SACD title stand out compared to other CDs.

In return for your tips, here are a few sites I've found informative:

DAISy Laser.com for technical info that a non-techy can digest

Of course, Sony NetServices' SACD site

Link Removed

[http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...dvda_title.aspHigh Fidelity Review.com[/url] for me, this is pretty informative site but hard to browse quickly for titles, as titles are listed separately by label.

Elusive Disc, inc. - pretty informative purchase site, but their by-label list takes awhile to browse.

Deep Discount CD - limited # of titles by "SACD" search:
"Your Album Search Resulted in 8 Artists" (?!)

Digital Eyes - more SACD titles listed separately than DDCD, but not extensive or as much disk info as Elusive Disc.

I'd love to find a site that brings all this information together, like many sites have done for DVDs. The sites above are all useful, but take more time than I often have to search out titles. Any suggestions?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Still, I am looking forward to picking many of these new releases. The situation is much better then Warner, who is just putting out their first DVD-A next week almost 2 whole months into the year (Emmylou Harris: Producer's Cut, which my copy has just shipped by the way). SACD is giving me titles I want, which I unfotunately cannot say about DVD-A up to this point this year.
Justin,

Good point. The trickle of DVDAs has been very slow. I do hear good things from Craig Anderson about this Producer's Cut so I will pick it up.

:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
circuitcity.com with free shipping,and a great selection of both dvd-a and sacd is a decent place to get them.
if one cant actually find them in a best buy. which seems to be one of maybe 2 0r 3 stores to physically have them on shelf.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
LanceJ,

THANKS, I had no idea that "Capricornia" was released as a DTS CD! I love Midnight Oil and that album as well. I've ordered it.

NP: Wings: London Town

Users who are viewing this thread