Steely Dan: Gaucho, Johnny Cash, and more coming to SACD....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Check out the new releases from Universal

http://consumers.umusic.com/sacd/future.html

Steely Dan Gaucho is listed as a multichannel Hybrid.

Also of note from Johnny Cash are American Recordings, Unchained, Solitary Man , and The Man Comes Around . These four discs are listed as stereo Hybrids.

The Wallflowers Red Letter Days and 3 Doors Down Away From the Sun are also listed as coming releases. These discs were previously announced, though the Universal website does not list in what flavor these discs will be released.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

One little comment:

Where's all the low cost sacd players that Regular Joe Schmoe can buy for these releases?

LJ

3. Justin Lane

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Justin: I was at Best Buy on Saturday and they said they would be getting "Producer's Cut" on Tuesday.

ONE whole copy!

I'm glad they have such confidence in this title!

I had two cups of strong-ass Starbucks coffee before writing this post--sory it's so long! [​IMG]

Another thing: They have recently begun carrying many more DTS Entertainment titles. Lots of "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues (I saw four copies of this alone), Sting, and Midnight Oil's "Capricornia" (sp?) for example.

Lots of Disturbed discs sitting there though. "Autmomatic For The People" discs seem to stagnate on the shelf too.

"Hotel California" and "Rumours" discs arrive, and disappear quick.

And those dang Silverline "Directions" or whatever discs are still clogging up the shelves!!

"Opaline" (from Dishwalla) dvd-audios don't seem to be stocked anymore? I had this disc: it was very well done (disc authoring, packaging, and the Dolby Digital track sounded excellent) but I gave it away. 90% of the reason was because of the music: too somber and slow (I have their first album "Pet Your Friends" which I like a lot. Kind of moody too but music is fast-paced & powerful). The other 10%? The 5.1 track was just that ambience stuff Silverline keeps putting out. Sounds like a plain old DSP processor "hall" effect--booooring.

Tomorrow I will fight the dvd-audio crowds [​IMG] and try to snag that Emmylou Harris disc and The Nightfly disc too (weird musical combo, eh?). I bought The Nightfly when it first came out (vinyl!) and had it on CD (but it got scratched up so bad over a 10 year period it skipped on 2 tracks & I finally threw it out a couple weeks ago). I really don't like Steely Dan very much, but this solo Fagen record is fun to listen to. Steely Dan is too slick-sounding for my tastes (& no it's not because their stuff is appearing on sacd!!!). I also gave away that "Two Against Nature" dvd-a for this reason; after my first excitement over it excellent sonics and 5.1 mixing, it eventually was just sitting in my rack literally getting dusty.

Also had the first "Studio Voodoo" dvd-audio: sounded great, but music too rave-like and plastic sounding. Gave it to DJ that worked at Radio Shack part-time.

So, no more buying titles just for the format itself!

LJ

7. Justin Lane

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I will buy Gaucho on day one. I've been waiting for that SACD for awhile. Of course, I would have preferred Aja on SACD, but beggars can't be choosers.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

What Keith said. [​IMG]

I'm still thrilled that Gabriel is coming out on SACD.

10. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    Where is a good, comprehensive source of SACD releases (already out & upcoming releases)? I'm especially interested in a good list of hybrids, since packaging and in-store shelving doesn't always make an SACD title stand out compared to other CDs.

In return for your tips, here are a few sites I've found informative:

DAISy Laser.com for technical info that a non-techy can digest

Of course, Sony NetServices' SACD site

Brian Moura's MultiChannel SACD list

[http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...dvda_title.asp]High Fidelity Review.com[/url] for me, this is pretty informative site but hard to browse quickly for titles, as titles are listed separately by label.

Elusive Disc, inc. - pretty informative purchase site, but their by-label list takes awhile to browse.

Deep Discount CD - limited # of titles by "SACD" search:
    "Your Album Search Resulted in 8 Artists" (?!)

Digital Eyes - more SACD titles listed separately than DDCD, but not extensive or as much disk info as Elusive Disc.

I'd love to find a site that brings all this information together, like many sites have done for DVDs. The sites above are all useful, but take more time than I often have to search out titles. Any suggestions?

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    circuitcity.com with free shipping,and a great selection of both dvd-a and sacd is a decent place to get them.
    if one cant actually find them in a best buy. which seems to be one of maybe 2 0r 3 stores to physically have them on shelf.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

LanceJ,

THANKS, I had no idea that "Capricornia" was released as a DTS CD! I love Midnight Oil and that album as well. I've ordered it.

NP: Wings: London Town