Steely Dan and Peter Frampton SACDs due August 26th!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, great news, indeed! However, Gaucho will be a hybrid disc, so I'll be looking for spindle cracks. Suddenly, I'm not so disappointed to hear of single-layer releases (like Frampton Comes Alive).

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

Lee,
    I'm interested in these titles, except that I refuse to buy single layer SACDs and I won't buy Crest hybrid SACDs now that I have experienced numerous spindle cracks. I've been a big supporter of SACD and have even increased the interest of all my friends in the format. I'm disappointed to say that I have had to tell people to avoid certain titles and/or a certain manufacturer of a title. I find that the spindle cracks have caused most of my friends with a casual interest in music to avoid SACD. I can't say that I blame them. Unless your the type of person that frequents these online forums your not likely to know what SACD is from Crest or not. I find it difficult to keep track of what is safe to buy and what isn't and I visit these forums all the time.

I would have to say that I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in the lack of response from Crest regarding their defective SACDs. The fact that they continue to knowingly press defective SACDs without fixing the problem so that they can reap the greatest profit is unethical. My disappointment extends to the record labels that don't demand a quality pressing of their titles. They to are guilty of putting out a defective product because they don't want to go through the difficult steps of finding another factory (I'm aware that their is very few) or to wait until Crest can prove that they are making a quality product. Instead of doing things right these companies choose to profit from selling a defective product "NOW" instead of selling a quality product later. They are banking on the fact that most people won't realize that the product is defective, or will attribute the cracks to mishandling and not poor production. This choice of business plan could backfire if enough people loose faith in the product.

I'm sorry for sidetracking the issue, but I just find that you seem to minimize the problem of spindle cracks. I'm aware that your a HUGE fan of SACD, in fact your posts added to my personal interest in the product. I wish that people like yourself with direct connections to Sony and SACD where as disgusted as I am in the mishandling of this important issue. If so then maybe we could just focus on enjoying the music.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Here we go again[​IMG]

BGL

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, let's definitely hope that Crest has its act together by the time that Gaucho hits the shelves. I'll be a guinea pig on this one.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'm a bit surprised that this thread isn't garnering more favorable replies since the subject is two great albums coming out on SACD. Is the lack of fervor because of the following?

1) One of the two discs mentioned will be a US hybrid, meaning that Crest cracks could run rampant.

2) The other disc will be a single-layer SACD, and most everyone wants hybrids (sans cracks).

Is that it?

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I think its more likely that Lee posted this on Friday, and there are many members who are out doing things BESIDES reading posts on the HTF[​IMG]

File it under: We have a life!

Seriously, I will be all over FCA. Actually watched Live in Detroit Friday night, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

BGL

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian said:

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Keith, the Dylan sampler is available only in the Lmt Ed. version of the "Masked and Anonymous" soundtrack (about $16 at CD Universe). It even includes a track from the next Bootleg Series release (Halloween 1964) due out in late-October as a single-inventory hybrid SACD/CD. Probably for Dylan fanatics only, those of us who simply can't wait until September and October.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'll take 2! [​IMG]

15. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich, I saw the Masked and Anonymous soundtrack featured in Sunday's Best Buy flier. Do you know if retail stores will be getting copies with the SACD sampler?

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Keith, I'm not sure, but they usually do. It seems the Dylan titles are routinely released also as Lmt Editions at first. Both "Love and Theft" and the last Bootleg Series release had Lmt Editions (a bonus DVD of live footage for the latter, a bonus CD of early performances in the former), and I was able to find both of these at Tower and Newbury Comics, respectively. Don't know about Best Buy, but there's a good chance I think.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rich, thanks. I'll head to Best Buy and hope for the "best". [​IMG]

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Keith and Rich,

Let us know how the Dylan SACD sampler sounds. I will look for it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'll let you know as soon as I get it... which unfortunately will be a few days I think. I made the mistake of ordering from CD Universe, which took 5 days to process the order and only shipped it out yesterday. I just hope I get it by the weekend. [​IMG]

Likewise "Pet Sounds"... but I'm not sure if I'm in a hurry to confirm what seems to be an enormous disappointment.