What's new

Steelers Super Bowl XL DVD (1 Viewer)

DanHaya

Second Unit
I recently picked up the Steelers' Super Bowl XL Champions DVD and was astonished to find that there is no broadcast of the actual game! Now, the NFL had been including a time-compressed version of the game since the Buccaneers' Super Bowl XXXVII DVD, but for whatever reason it was left off this time.

Does anyone have any information as to why it's not on there? I'm hoping that maybe the league is planning to release all of the games in original broadcast form, but I'm not holding my breath.

Randy_Cre

Agent
I'm hoping that maybe the league is planning to release all of the games in original broadcast form, but I'm not holding my breath.

Not as long as Steve Sabol and NFL Films are involved. Sabol has stated repeatedly that viewers do not want to watch a full replay of 3-hour game. (I disagree of course, but Sabol has his NFL Films to protect so I don't expect a change in policy unless the NFL and team owers become convinced that they are losing some serious revenue by not releasing complete broadcasts of their games.)

As a sidenote, as has been the case for many years (and I believe the current TV contracts are the same), the NFL owns the rights to the video of the broadcasts.... but the networks retain the rights to the audio commentary. ... So you will notice on any NFL Films "Greatest Games" program, that the announcers used are not the same as the original TV announcers... With the recent edited huddle, condensed Super Bowls that NFL Films has released since the Bucs/Raiders Super Bowl... The audio commentary is provided by the team radio announcers.

So getting the game in its original form would be unlikely even if the NFL did release complete games without the edited huddles, etc.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Wow, that's pretty interesting! I didn't know about the networks owning the audio portion of the games.

I agree with you that Sabol is probably the biggest opponent to it, and I guess I don't blame him for wanting to protect his product, but I'd like to think that there is room for both in the marketplace. NFL Films is an institution, and has had a lot to do with the NFL's growth over the years. They've captured some of the most iconic images in sports. But I still would like to think that the league, NFL Films and its broadcast partners could all make plenty of money by putting the live broadcasts out in their entirety...

...but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I was even more astonished to find that the video was STANDARD VERSION "preserving the aspect ratio of its original television exhibition."

NOT IN MY HOUSE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks