What's new

Steel Studs (1 Viewer)

NickRHave

Agent
Hi,
I'm going to start building my theater in the basement and have decided to go with metal studs. I have seen posts that state that I should drop 2 x 4 wood into the channels. This may sound stupid but how do I secure them in the channel? Do I need to shoot them into the floor? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Trevor_J

Second Unit
You do not need to put the wood inside the studs unless you intend on hanging something heavy from the wall. As far as dropping 2x4's into the channels, all you would need to do is angle them in and they'll drop right into place as long as you use the metal equivalent of 2x4 which is 3 5/8.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
As far as dropping 2x4's into the channels, all you would need to do is angle them in and they'll drop right into place as long as you use the metal equivalent of 2x4 which is 3 5/8.
Sure you could drop them right in place, but what for? As soon as you do this, you can no longer bring the vertical studs down into the channel flush to the floor. It would be harder to attach them, at least as far as I can reckon.

Like I said, when your buying them and installing them, they dont seem like much. But trust me, they build a solid wall for less money.

NickRHave

Agent
There seems to be confusion on what I mean to do. I'm talking about dropping wood 2 x 4's in the bottm header after the vertical metal studs are up. I was told I needed to do this so I can nail up my baseboard after the drywall is up. Any suggestions for attaching baseboard to metal studs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks