What's new

Steel Battalion out yet? (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I think this is supposed to ship either today or tomorrow, so I'm just looking for some info from those lucky enough to get this game. I tried looking for answers to my questions in various previews, but I still have a few ...

Is this game 4x3 or 16x9? Also, I've seen talk of an online version. Does this mean the first version (shipping now) is only 1-player ... and then there will be an additional game to buy for Live play?

Chris Gio

Agent
Scott Simonian and I can't wait for this game. It's not online in the first version, but they're releasing a sequel with full Live support planned.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, my source has 11/22 as the official release date. Then again, I've seen at least 5 different release dates (11/19, 11/20, 11/22, 11/26, 11/29) listed for this item.
Capcom has a 2-week delay on orders. Amazon has stopped accepting orders, and new EB orders are against possible 'future stock' that may not come any time soon.
It looks like there is a pretty good chance that the initial US run (reported 10,000 units) will sell out quickly. If this is the case, additional production is pretty much a given (especially with a sequel on the way that needs the controller), but after how many months?
As far as widescreen goes, this screenshot at some show looks zoomed/cropped (probably by the plasma or LCD display) when compared to the ton of 4:3 shots on the web. I'm guessing no true 16:9 mode.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, virtually everyone has sold out. I'd say we'll definately see a second run on the title. I'd also guess it's going to be an absolute minimum of 6 weeks till more copies, probably 2-3 months since a run must be schedualed at the Asian plants, then shipped via ship to the US(that's a month by itself)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
That controller is FAR too cool looking... but I'm not sure my living room is big enough to handle that beasty!!! :D (But I'm sure I can find a way...hee!)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Wasn't there a rumor a few months ago about a release without the controller? I really want to play this, but the $200 admission fee is holding me back.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

The game really uses all 40+ controls on the controller. They would have to completely rewrite the game. It's not going to happen.

Even during simple moments in battle you could easily be using both sticks, two pedals at the same time, a trigger or two, and a hat switch or thumb button. At the same time. So even if you moved tons of other stuff to menus (which would slow down your play and disadvantage you), you just don't have enough fingers and thumbs to engage in basic combat with a standard controller.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Due to the camera angle of Steel Battalion with the "virtual cockpit", I seriously doubt it could have 16X9 support since there wouldn't be anything to put in the extra area on the sides.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Well, they could just widen the field of view out of the cockpit, moving the HUD stuff out to the edges. From the looks of the previews, though, I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Romier's EB didn't get it yet (which probably means NO EB got it yet given that he's about an hour away from the warehouse)

My order has not shipped yet

I'm guessing no one is getting this till manana

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My bud is manager at the local EB. He said Wednesday. Maybe later tonight. Splinter Cell didn't come in until around 7pm here on it's release day so, I'm still holding out for SB.
Got mine already prepaid.
I'm wondering how well this game will sell here (US). I know it's going to be somewhat of a "niche" title due to cost. The developers probably realised this as well but, still...I just wonder if this is one of those ones you'll see on Ebay a year from now either going for drastically cheap or, twice as much?
I think I'm waiting 'till Xmas to open this one. That's what it for but, so was my Xbox last year. Didn't hold out until Xmas on that one. Haloooooooo...:)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I just wonder if this is one of those ones you'll see on Ebay a year from now either going for drastically cheap or, twice as much?
It better be going for twice as much, otherwise I'll feel pretty dumb for preordering one now :) I'm guessing it will sell pretty well for an item of that nature. It's gotten very good reviews and it seems like there's a genuine interest from a lot of people, not all of whom will actually buy it, of course, but at least they know what it is and are intrigued.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks