What's new

Steamed Cheeseburgers! (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Hey Joe,
I'll see your In 'n Out and raise you a Five Guys. Though they're better, I think that In 'N Out's dominate the fast food competition. Anyone else from the Northern Virginia area that can vouch for Five Guys? I guess you have to try it to believe.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Well... we don't have much weird stuff in Florida. We do have Drive-Through Cuban. We don't have any In-And-Out burgers here... I wish they did, I hear they're great
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

How about grits... someone once told me they don't have those in the north :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
no grits here.
I've also never EVER heard of a steamed cheeseburger in my life.
I like LOTS of gravy on my pasties.
and ketchup too, to tie it in to that other thread.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never heard of a steamed cheeseburger either—and I fully expect that there is a reason. ;)

As for pasties (how did that get in this thread?), I don’t think that either gravy or ketchup is all that good. Pasties that are so dry as to require either, are not well-made pasties. Back in the day I’m pretty sure that the miners did not carry a side of gravy or a bottle of ketchup underground.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Gregg-

I'm backing you up on the Five Guys nomination- the best dang burgers I have ever had. They're constantly rated in local and Zagat books as being among the best burgers and deals in the area. I'm so glad to see their business expanding.;)

I was surprised that hamburgeramerica.com didn't have Five guys listed...

Rafael.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

Or cheeseburgers in general for that matter. I'm probably the only person here repulsed by cheeseburgers. In fact cheese anything pretty much gags me with the exception of mac and cheese and cheese pizza.

After all think about what cheese really is.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

Well I don't know about the Burger Kings in other areas, but the ones here either steam or microwave theirs. Always a soggy bun with a tough patty.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean this in a mean way, but since you haven't tried it (or even heard of it), how can you knock it?

Kinda reminds me of the avocado ice cream flavor where people immediately get grossed out before realizing that avocado is a fruit.

And for those who think steamed burgers sound gross, have you ever had Wendy's chili? (as someone who used to work there and make the chili) you'd be surprised at the process. The end result of the meat is pretty much EXACTLY the same end result of a steamed burger.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh I'm sure it's tasty Mark. It just sounds a tad... freakish. ;)

Now poutine, on the other hand... YUMMY! :D

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I've never had a steamed cheeseburger, or an In-n-Out burger (though I'd love to try one), but for a good burger, my family prefers Culver's.

Matt

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I’d try one for sure if given the opportunity (guess I’d have to be in Connecticut to make sure that I got the real deal). I’ll try anything once—actually two or three times, just to make sure that I did not get a poor offering on the initial try.

But as for making a prejudgment—I think that I have tried enough different kinds of food by now, prepared in a variety of ways, and know enough about cooking and what works and what does not, to be able to form an opinion without having tried the actual item. And of course my personal preferences come into play—I like my burgers rare to medium-rare, for example. Now I’m not saying that steaming won’t produce a medium-rare burger, but it might be difficult to do.

But I’d suspend my prejudgment, if I actually tried the burger.

I’ll have an opinon of the next Michael Bay action flick before I actually see it. It does not mean that I won’t change my mind in the theater, but I’ve seen enough films in general and his in specific to have an idea of the ‘taste and texture’ before I actually see the film.

BTW, you can get avocado shakes in Indonesia. And I’ve actually tried dill pickle ice cream—not too good, but then what would you expect?

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up in Meriden, CT (where Ted's is). It's the only thing I look forward (well, that and a Little Rendevous pizza) to when I go down to visit my parents. Heaven is a steamed cheeseburg slathered with ketchup along with Ted's home fries covered in cheese. Wash it down with chocolate milk and you can just feel your arteries hardening. As much as I enjoy an In-N-Out burger or a Culver's butterburger, nothing beats a Ted's cheeseburg.

Jason L.

Second Unit
White Castle cooks the meat on a grill. They put the top part of the bun on top of the meat while it is cooking so that it soaks up the juice/grease/steam. The meat is so thin that they don't have to flip the patty over, I believe. As a result, the burger is really moist, and probably the same as a steamed burger, although I have never had one.

Burger King cooks the meat on a flame broiled "conveyor belt", while the bun is being toasted on another conveyor belt. When the two are finished, they are slapped together and put in a "holding pen", which is usually closed to stay warm/fresh. When a hamburger is ordered, they take it out of the holding pen, put the sauce/veggies/cheese on it and microwave it for a short time because to warm it up.

The best mass-market hamburger I ever had was the Checker's "Sirloin Burger", which was only there for a short time, I believe.

The Hardee's "Five Dollar Cheeseburger" [which is called the "Five Star Cheeseburger" here in Kuwait] is also damn good.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

I think Hardee's must be Carl's Jr. here... They have the "$6 dollar burger" (I guess five dollars in L.A. didnt sound so expensive?) It is really gross... (its all thick and overcooked and the meat is grey and flakes off... YUCK!) I do love their double western Bacon Cheeseburger though... Probably my favorite burger...

Hmmm... Maybe Ill walk over to In-N-Out and have a 4x4 today.... MMMMMMMMMMMM

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Anybody remember the Rally's burger thread? That one was definitely deserving of the pukey smily.

I've never heard of a steamed burger. Well, at least not outside of my mom's story about the first time my dad tried to cook her dinner after they first got married. :eek: They went out to dinner that night.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
The only place I've ever heard of steamed burgers is on the aforementioned Simpsons episode (and I wrote it off as a nonsensical, though funny, joke). To me, the only thing worse than a steamed burger would be a boiled burger. Ick! I prefer my bugers burnt on the outside and raw on the inside, thank you very much! :)

However, since we seem to be on a region burger joint tangent...

[voice type="Homer"]Mmmm.... regional burger joints...[/voice]

My favorites:

Good Times - A Colorado thing. I love their Guacamole Bacon Burger... and their frozen custard beats the ice cream of most ice cream places.

Blake's Lotaburger - A New Mexico tradition. My usual is a Lotaburger with green chile (and no not that muck out of a can that some people call "green chile stew"--I'm talking about roasted and peeled green chiles from Hatch, New Mexico).

Jim's Burger Haven - My Dad's favorite burger place. 'Nuf said.

-Mike

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Mike Serrano. . I must be weird because in the 20 years I've lived in New Mexico, I just don't like Blake's. I've never understood the appeal but it is quite popular here.

I will agree to the green chile, though. It's great on anything, particularly hamburgers.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Hatch chilies are the real deal. One of our moderately upscale supermarkets here (Central Market) roasts them, makes them available (both raw and roasted) and puts them in sausage and other things when they become available each year. At least one local TexMex restaurant has its annual Hatch chili festival at that time also. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread