"Stealing Harvard" ... Lame And Idiotic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Kleiner, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Anthony_Kleiner

The trailer for this movie has been shown on TV for the last several days non-stop.

Uncle makes a promise. Girl gets into Harvard and needs Tuition money from Uncle who promised to provide it.

So the uncle and Tom Green go and try to rob some places and get the money.

Apperantly the people who made this movie never heard of the following:

Student Loans
    Education Loans
    Lines of Credit

With an offer for admission for "Harvard University", one of the best universities in the US, it's not going to be hard to get a student loan.

If Tom Green wasn't in this movie it would be a total bomb. And i'm not sure if it will do any better with him in the picture.

I for one won't even bother watching this movie when it makes it's way to television.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Tom Green? Lame and idiotic??? The devil you say!

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The uncle? The uncle? THE UNCLE?
    YOU REFER TO HIM AS JASON LEE! DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO JASON LEE IS? WHAT KIND OF MOVIE FAN ARE YOU?
    [​IMG]

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yeah, dude. Sir Jason Lee is referred to by name, not by character.

Blasphemer!

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Anthony, I'm confused.

Have you seen the film, or not?

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

8. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Anybody else wish to contribute a psychic-review of this film?

Mark

9. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

My 2 cents
    I have never been a huge fan of Tom Green, but I think he is best as a secondary role (Charlie's Angels, Road Trip). As everyone else has already stated the reason I will see this is because of Jason Lee![​IMG] Jason is just such an honest actor it is hard not to like him. I think the character of Banky in Chasing Amy is such an A$$hole, but Jason makes me find a way to like him.
    I will hold my final judgment on the film till I see it, but it is hard for me to think of a movie that would be completely bad with Jason Lee in it.

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

12. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

The premise does sound kind of weak. i'm not a huge tom green fan. but i'm still going to check this one out for jason lee. is there anyone else there that is not "big-time" that has as many fans as jason lee. the man is an idol

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

14. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Gee I didn't think you could actually perform a thread fart in the inital post! [​IMG]
    So Freddy Got Fingered was a runaway success? Call the AFI!![​IMG]

15. BooneG

BooneG Stunt Coordinator

I have seen this movie and I can say that.................... It's not as bad as people think it will be. I love Jason Lee as an actor and he is pretty funny in this movie. Tom Green has some moments but they are to spaced out. The whole premise is pretty bad but what do you expect from a movie with Tom Green?
    Overall, the movie has some pretty funny scenes, but nothing that you won't forget two seconds after it happens.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] (out of four)

16. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

That too bad, Boone. I thought the trailer did nothing to entice an audience. However, I was holding out hope that Jason Lee's participation indicated some merit - he's one of my favorite actors and makes me crack up all of the time (drew me into the View Askew universe with his performance in Chasing Amy).

From the mostly negative reviews that I've heard from you and other reviewers, I hope Jason Lee regains momentum. I thought he had a memorable turn in Vanilla Sky.

17. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, a comedy doesn't necesarily have to have a great plot as long as it makes you laugh. I mean isn't that the point of a comedy? Tommy Boy, Mr. Deeds, Happy Gilmore...they are not original, but they crack me up, so I enjoy watching them.
    Stealing Harvard looks like it will be one of these movies, but I wil see it just for the laugh factor.
    Lighten up.
    Later

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Sure, but do the characters know that? When writing, a comedy especially, you're a slave to the characters. You have to make decisions based on them, not on you. Since you haven't seen it, you have no idea if these issues are addressed.
    Or, to use an example from a famous comedy. In Billy Wilder's "The Apartment" C.C. Baxter catches a cold while waiting outside of his apartment for one of his bosses to finish his night's affair. Sure, I would have found a bar, or even a hotel lobby to sit in rather than sit out in the cold. But Baxter wouldn't. He loved his apartment and him staying outside was more of a declaration that it's still his apartment. He's just too reserved to outwardly tell his bosses that.
    So consider that. From the previews I've seen it looks like the characters in Stealing Harvard wouldn't know about loans. And there might be a reason why his niece couldn't.

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

In Stealing Harvard, Jason Lee promised his niece he would pay for her college if she got accepted. THAT is why HE has to pay it.

20. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I got around to seeing this yesterday. I love Jason Lee, I'll see anything with him in it. And I personally think that Tom Green is a funny dude. So while, I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, I was at least expecting to laugh and be entertained. Boy was I wrong!

Bruce McCulloch, of Kids in the Hall fame, pulls off an amazing feat. He has the ability to drain Jason Lee of any personality, and to wash away nearly all of Tom Green's natural comedic senses. What an incredible lack of talent that must take! Forget the insipid plot, this film fails in every single level. I laughed lightly at a few of Tom Green's, probably, ad-libbed moments, but that was it. This is now at the top of my worst movies of the year list.

I'm staying far away from any Bruce McCulloch films in the future. His Dog Park movie is also near the top of my list of worst comedy films ever.