STEALING BEAUTY DVD fixed.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Ulmer, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I received my replacement copy the other day, and posted a thank you thread in studio feedback. The subtitle problem has been fixed, and thankfully all the subs can still be removed if desired. FOX CS was very prompt in getting this replacement going.
    Thanks again to Peter and FOX for releasing this wonderful film.
    Go forth and BUY! [​IMG]
    PS. My review at dOc will be updated shortly to reflect the corrections.

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Jeff,

Is there any way of distinguishing the original release from the updated version, packaging wise? I held off on purchasing this title because of the subtitle problem and would like to rectify that matter now. I'd prefer to pick up the title at a local retailer so that I could verify the version that I'm purchasing, assuming there is a means of doing so. Thanks.

- Walter.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The difference between the two I have is only in the listing of the French surround track on the back on the old one, but I have heard that there are incorrect ones with the French track listing removed.

Other than that, the two packages I have are indistinguishable. Since Fox has this at CS, the worst you'd have to do is call, and they will ship the corrected disc to you.

It is possible the top seal may be different, but I don't have both of mine to check...

4. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

5. Duncan_N

Duncan_N Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm if the fixed version has a new barcode or is in any way distinguishable by packaging from the incorrect version?

I am looking to pick this up second hand but want to make sure I get the fixed version.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

The mint marks on the inner ring of the discs are different on my two copies the original has the numbers @P11101, the reissue @P20406, however these are probably dependent on where they were pressed.

The outside packaging is identical other than the French track listed on the original, but as stated abovem some bad discs made the revised packaging. I don't know what Fox's policy is on used discs, but you could call the customer service number and ask whether replacements are possible.

7. Duncan_N

Duncan_N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jeff![​IMG]

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Jeff, thanks for the info! I've been waiting for this news before making a purchase. It's places like the HTF that make me thankful in cases like these.

I don't do much online shopping, and it would be helpful to know for sure if there's a way to distinguish the two versions. Otherwise I may just wait a while so I can be sure about the versions.

Thanks again!

Joseph

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I first posted about the fix in June 2002, so chances are it should have filtered to retail by now, except in stores which are very slow in moving merchandise. If it lists a french track, it's safe to assume that version is no good. There may be a limited amount that don't list the french track that are bad, but if you did get one of these (pretty easy to tell, as there are no subs for the Italian), Fox will most likely send you a fixed copy if you call them.

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I recently got my replacement from Fox. Very professional and quick!

The UPC codes are the same. The 'sticker' on the top just says "STEALING BEAUTY" and the DVD logo. Thats it.

Old Disc:
    File dates are all 10/29/2001 4:38pm
    Hub numbers(looking at the bottom) are; L384 9661 20028330 @ N11031-01Y

New Disc:
    File dates are 4/3/2002 4:31pm

Hub numbers(looking at the bottom) are; L802 9661 20028330 @ P20406-01Y

Doesn't look like there is a way to tell by looking at the outside of the case. My old copy did say 'french stereo' though.

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

And thanks to you, Jeff for keeping this on the forefront. Thanks to Peter Staddon for addressing this issue.

I bought Stealing Beauty the first day it was released and was sad to see the mistake. I was waiting and waiting and finally forgot.

Finally, I saw this thread today which indicated that this issue had been fixed.

Jeff or Mark, do you remember how long it took to get the replacement from Fox? I called and gave my name and address, but the lady did not tell me how long I would have to wait before I received the replacement.

Thanks!

12. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

It came very quickly, just a few days if I remember correctly.